Do You Try To Max Out Your Sales?

We’re in our sixth week at our new place with a full (and really good) Italian menu added to our previous menu as strictly pizza, apps and sandwiches. The ruckus of opening has slowed down and we’re getting settled into our new location and staffing.

Our first Friday being open was a bigger day than our last week at the old place and pretty much every day was up 200%-300% over what we were doing with only adding around 12 seats. In a town of only 25K, we’re the only Italian restaurant, we have a really cool wood grill for steaks and chicken which is a blast to work with. Food costs are down around 12% and labor is down almost 10%, even though we aren’t selling pizza like we were. I’d say our “typical” sales are down about 75%, but we have zero coupons out, minimal promotion other than facebook and word of mouth and only carried over our daily specials that get used maybe 5-8 times a day. However, our dine in, full price sales with no discount on the pizzeria menu are through the roof. Probably up 800%.

We’re at a point where I’ve rented out our old building to make our fixed costs -$300/mo too. I’m at a point where I’ve been through the pressure of being busy, but also what seems to be a sweet spot where I can make a great profit and still have some sanity. I’m curious if anyone else has found themselves in a similar position. I can turn the heat up again and pound out sales, have three deliveries a week (plus 2 beer and 2 liquor), deal with the huge staff, prep work, etc. But, ultimately, we’re talking about 20 tables and a delivery menu.