Exhaust & HVAC Question For George Mills

George,

I’m moving my location in a few months and want to make sure I get this right? My building is 1400 sq ft (kitchen is approx 850 sq ft), Double stack Lincoln 1000’s, The ovens are against a wall- What is an airbrake? and how important is it? Located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. What size hood do I need? How many CFM for exhaust and make up air? How many tons of A/C ?

Thanks
George

Hi: Denny

I’m moving my location in a few months and want to make sure I get this right? My building is 1400 sq ft (kitchen is approx 850 sq ft), Double stack Lincoln 1000’s, The ovens are against a wall- What is an airbrake?

An air brake is the distance a hood must be from the wall.

and how important is it?

It is the code, and the distance is 3 inches.

Located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. What size hood do I need?

Your hood must extend at least 6 inches beyond the oven on both ends and the front. As there is blow out from the two ends of your oven a bit more over hang on the ends would be best.

How many CFM for exhaust and make up air? How many tons of A/C ?

CFM for exhaust will be determined by the make of your hood. If you get a non certified hood you will probably need 4500 CFM exhaust and 4500 CFM of make up air.

With a certified hood ( that is a hood that has been tested by Under writers Laboratories or Equipment testing laboratories) you could be down to 2000 CFM exhaust and as low as 800 CFM extracted from your building.

A make up air unit is not a good option for a pizza shop. By code the air brought in by the make up air unit will have to be heated to within 10 degrees of the room temperature. Your cost to operate the make up air unit could be as high as $150 per CFM per year or as much as $7000.00 per year if you are required to exhaust 4500 CFM.

Most make up air units are not equipped to cool the in bound air in the hotter months. The code does not require that air to be cooled. That results in very hot air being dumped into your kitchen during the warmer months. The problem of hot make up air can be resolved by adding a cooling unit to the make up air unit or by adding enough A/C to offset 4500 CFM of hot air coming in to your building while 4500 CFM of your A/C cooled air is being exhausted out the hood.

We never put a make up air in a pizza shop.

How many tons of A/C ?

The first 5 tons of A/C in a pizza shopdoes virtually nothing to cool the building. The first 5 tons of A/C just breaks about even with the heat generated by the equipment. In a shop of about your size, with no un-cooled make up air, we would recommend at least 12 tons. If a shop has seating the A/C requirement would be increased based on the number of seats. If you use a make up air unit an increse in A/C would be required.

The ventilation system for a pizza shop is critical in view of the cost of operating the system and the comfort of the customers and the workers.

If you would like to consult with me further send me a private message.

George mills

+1