finding Caputo 00 for home use??

Is there a simple, easy place maybe in Atlanta to find Caputo 00 flour (or its very close equivelant) for use in making home pizzas? I have a couple customers now who have asked me, and I got no clue. If I could find it in atlanta area, I’d buy and repackage for them. They want to make grilled pizzas and found articles about Caputo be the all-saviour flour for high-temp dough.

I suspect that other flour is quite acceptable . . . but am no so much on the brands of flour and grilled pizzas and all. Before anyone asks . . . I DID offer to sell my doughballs to them, and they will likely do that until they find the holy grail they seek. :slight_smile: I mean, they aren’t making pizza for resale in NY or anything.

Selling them my sauce and cheese, though.

this may or may not help

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index. … 594.0.html

A good alternative, readily available is King arthur bread flour.

Sorry Nick but this is a moot point with me.
Why even would you sell dough or flour so someone can make pizzas at home? You are just white anting your own business. Try getting the base ingredients from Coca Cola to make your own at home, or KFC’s special “herbs and spices”
etc.
Let them find it themselves and learn how to make it themselves.
You are only doing yourself out of business otherwise. In a small market like yours you need every sale you can get.
Despite how nice an cosy your community is in the end of the day you have invested heavily in your business to make money. I understand fully your community spirit ad belonging and I applaud you for it but please mate, don’t dig a hole for yourself. It will start with one and then escalate. Here where I am there is a huge surge on home pizza ovens, either gas or mainly wood fired and we were getting more and more asking for dough, and these were previous customers who used to buy from us and now want to make their own. If they want to go down that track let them find it and do it themselves. We tell them to go to the supermarket and buy the ready made ones and they reply that they are sh1t - “we want good tasting dough like yours”.
Do it once and they will be back every time they wnat to make their own pizzas instead of buying from you.
Sorry for the bluntness and the digressing from your question (I wouldn’t know anyway) but this is a real sore point with me.

Dave

Bluntness is what WADave’s do best!

What I am actually envisioning is something to make a win/win because of just what you are talking about. I want to make “Pizza Kits” for people to make at home. I save a little in labor and utilities, and they get to have a pizza party/family thing at home. I am thinking about having “dough mix” and “fresh dough” versions. Hey, get new sales in the door. If I start losing revenues, then I drop it. I am hoping and planning so that it is an add-on rather than an instead-of proposition.

That’s one of the reasons it hasn’t gone to press yet. Dave, you slay me . . . . I am all about taking dollars to the bank just like you. I promise to be careful and track sales and customer purchase frequencies. If I can get thegrill guy to buy my 12" cheese pizza kit for $8 including fresh whole milk mozzerella and my unique, hand-blended premium tomato sauce, then I lose only $0.65 on the sale . . . and it’s not that much of a loss!!

I may find a way to make it a “Sweetheart Treat” and give away a bottle of wine to go with it. Checking laws and such before even considering printing anything about that. I am an “on premises” license and won’t risk the license with any gray area stuff.

I understand what you are saying about “packs”. If you can get near the finished price point then go for it - a little niche in the market is great. I must admit in my early days we had a customer who used to order the pizzas uncooked to put in her own oven. This was OK until one day she wanted 15 or so for a party. Making them up and then placing them uncooked in pizza boxes was tricky and then she ended complaining because the base got stuck to the box and they broke apart, so I stopped doing it for her anymore - not worth the hassle. Not only did we lose her pre-cooked orders we also lost her other orders when she was on her way home from work.
Nick, my friend … walk very slowly through this exercise and think of every lttle problem that may occur. Also be aware of some creten who may buy the pack and then contaminate the stuff and claim you sold it to them in that state. Sorry but I don’t trust anyone these days.

Dave

I appreciate your words of caution and concern, my friend. I will head the words from everyone and I will tread lightly and with care as I work up this program. It has pitfalls and issues that will need attention if it is intended to make any profit.

BTW . . . when I mentioned the .65 “loss” above, I was referring to selling the “kit” at lower price than the baked and sliced pizzas . . . .but only by .65 to 1.00 less than menu price.

I don’t see what the big deal is, where I work we sell dough balls all the time. There is a option on the POS for it, the cost for a 16" dough ball is $1.5. I don’t see how you are losing money when you are still charging them more than what it cost to make the dough. They don’t always end up making pizza with the dough, they use it to make something else.

I have had good luck with King Arthurs Italian 00 clone the few times I used it.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/ite … flour-3-lb

The Caputo “Tipo 00” pizzeria flour is available a www.FornoBravo.com
They have 3-pack’s of retail sized bags available there ready to be shipped.

What is so special about the Caputo 00? It works very well with high-heat situations such as those encountered in a wood-fired oven, It has about the same gluten percentage as a regular al-purpose flour, but it is milled to a superfine particle size.

The stuff works best at hydration’s nearing 70%, it is very easy to work with, has a great flavor, and most importantly it does not instantly char at high heats.

It is the holy grail for home artisan pizza makers and for people who make a true Neapolitan pizza on a commercial basis too. If you are interested in VPN certification, Caputo flour is required to get it.
The commercial packages are 55 pounds (22Kg) I know Sysco can get the stuff, but I do not have a Sysco product number (if someone does have a Sysco number, I would appreciate it) typical cost through most commercial purveyors is anywhere from $26-$33 USD/55# bag.
There is a commercial provider located in Northern IL, Southern WI known as Greco & Sons.