hobart convection oven

Hello everyone, I am a newbie here so bare with me please. I have the opportunity to open a pizza shop out of a former sausage and deli meat location. While the lease is cheap enough for me to take the plunge and with the former operator giving me his utility expenses I believe this to be a very nice opportunity for CHEAP. He has several pieces of equipment for sale one of which has me intrigued. I have been in the Pizza business on several levels for over 20 years but am perplexed by the convection ovens he has for sale. He has 2 stacked 8 tray convection ovens and wants 7000.00 dollars for them. He used them for everything he cooked in his sausage and meatball catering business. I know they are HOBART and are about 6 or 7 years old, however I have no idea the model as we were unable to locate a tag (it must have been behind the units). My question is can I make pizza in this type of oven. In answering please consider that I would be baking either fresh dough, par-baked or fully baked shells in the unit not to mention heating subs as well. I know I have seen some Pizza convection ovens but I am curious if all are similar. My familiarity is with both conveyor and deck ovens and would be curious if these ovens would be worth buying as they are already set up in the location. Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Oh btw there are at least 2 used and new equipment sales companies in my area. Thank You in advance for your response.

For sure you will need to figure out what model of ovens they are…George Mills might be able to help you figure out more about the ovens…You can find many of his posts in the archives here…Good luck…

Ok I am wondering how to seek out George Mills advice directly in this matter. Also wouldn’t pizza plates on the racks be sufficient to utilize this style oven?

I recently wrote an article on this very topic. Check back a couple issues, or e-mail liz@pmq.com and ask her for a reference to my article on the different oven types, of which I included convection.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

HI G

In my opinion you cannot bake pizzas in a convection oven and produce a product that the buying public will purchase.

I know of no successful pizza shop baking pizzas in a convection oven. Cookies, pies, cakes and bread ok. Pizza no.

George mills