Making Dough Question

Ok - I am making Dough … I have 2 questions

1. I have managed pizza shops for ever b4 I bought this one. All the shops I worked at we did dough same way, add all dry ingredients, dissolve yeast in warm water, then add water to dry ingredients and mix

Is this fine? Can I make my dough like this?

NEXT question - my recipe has both eggs and lard in it, now I know lard goes through some people faster then others (basically if you eat alot of it then you get the runs)

Is there something i can use in place of the lard or do i need to get a new recipe

We use oil rather than lard. We combine with honey and the water/yeast and stir with a whisk.

I have always been told to add the water to the bowl first because if you add flour first it will sit in the bottom of the bowl and not get picked up until most of the water is already absorbed. I have always done it that way so I don’t know if will actually cause a problem if you add dry stuff first.

I do water first, add oil, salt, sugar, and with a whisk. Then add flour and yeast on top.

Tom will train you to add the water, then the flour, mix it slightly just to help hydrate…then the yeast/salt/sugar if using…and finally when that’s had a chance to incorporate, add the oil. Adding oil/butter prior to the dry seems to work against the flour picking up all the ingredients and especially so with the water.

In a planetary mixer, I have seen firsthand that the oil last does make a difference in finished dough versus adding all at once. In a VCM, not really worth mentioning with the 45 to 60 second mix.

I do find a smoother dough quicker with water first, then dry, then oil after mixed. Just a matter of temp and time controls it seemed to me. Shorter mix by even 1 minute means less temp buildup and more control over structure . . . if you want more, then mix more but can’t mix less.

When we make dough, we put in the water, salt, sugar, oil and yeast, then add the flour. It seems to mix properly over doing it any other way.

Kind of a side question here(sorry not trying to steal your thread!)…I’ve been making dough for a few months now and have been very happy with the results. However, the last 3 batches ive made seem to be coming out real sticky. Even after 10-15 minutes mixing. The first time i noticed this i added more flour and it seemed to help. The second time i tried to just go with it…and that didn’t work out to well. The last batch i added a little more flour. Im doing this very small scale right now and just trying to learn/practice in my home.

1 other question/opinion from all you pizzeria owners/experts…Im pretty sure i know the answer to this but my question is…There is probably no way to get that nice cooked crust taste that you’d get from cooking in a deck oven while cooking in a home convection oven right? Ive come to realize i probably cant expect to. Im cooking on a screen and then moving it over to the rack after the dough cooks slightly. That leads me to my next issue…can i just use pam on the screen to stop the dough from sticking to it?

Thanks guys for all your help…love this site

Rich

I started a new thread for the baking in home oven question. Hope it is helpful. Left the dough mking here.

Do you have a written procedure that you follow every time? Have you changed anything at all in your recipe or procedure? Brand of flour? Are you weighing or using cups/volume measures? It is potentially possible that there is a change in the character of the flour, even if the same brand.

We use cold water, oil sugar salt and yeast, mix it for a little bit then add the flour.

Nick, I am using toms recipe for the most part and weigh out my ingredients. Again I made a couple pizzas tonight and my dough was very, very soft and still pretty sticky(after 24 hours). It gets a bit easier to work with after coating with flour. But tonight I noticed my dough also had a lot of gas, and bubbles in it. Sucks because it all started out so good a few weeks ago. I’m using ady. Am I using to much? I’m making small quantities of dough, so it’s hard to measure out .5oz, sound like maybe to much water? Can’t thank u guys enough