Office Space

I am looking at a spot that is 2300 sq. ft. I want to do a delco but also think I have room for some seating. I have a limited menu,basically just pizza,wings and breadsticks. My question is how important is it to include office space in the design? How many of you have offices at your location?

We had a dedicated office space when we opened…but after a couple of years needed the space to deal with our limited work space. Tore the walls down and moved the office in our house. Best decision for us. With a laptop I can take my office to both stores. We have a “bedroom” filled with all the office stuff and use every inch.
You will need office space somewhere that is for sure.

Kris

same as Kris here.I have used my “office space” to expand my prep area twice. Now it consists of a 3’ desk with a filing cabinet and a laptop with wifi. I have a multiuse copy/fax and a POS terminal all crapmed in on top. While I do miss the privacy of a backoffice, I have a much better view of my business this way altough it is tough to get anything done in between customers and phone calls. I use quickbooks online which is convenient for bookkeeping at multiple locations.

I recommed planning it but not making anything permanent (walls, etc.)

Mine is in the basement. I have a couch,tv,safe, and computer. THe only one I use is the safe. I would give it up in a second if I needed the room. I too work off of my MacBook.

I so wish that I had office space at the store. I would be so much more productive and would spend much more time there. One word of caution. I have seen many places with an office where the shift manager sits their a$$ in the cushioned chair and expected everyone else to do their work. I worked at a place 15 years ago where the shift manager would sleep most every shift in the office once the owner left for the evening.

We also had to move our office to our house. At both our stores we have a little office that contains necessary office equipment, employment forms and a small desk to check out drivers, but the office is also used as storage for dry goods. We have WAY too much stuff to have it all at the stores – plus it makes it nice on those nights when I can’t sleep I can still get some of my work done. The downside is when you need to talk to a employee in “private” the only place you can go and close the door is the bathroom and that doesn’t look too professional :lol: P.S. we DO NOT hold “closed door” meetings in our bathroom!

Most of the shops we design and equip do not have offices. Several franchise groups specify no office.

George Mills