Stupid delivery driver got in small wreck and wants new car

So my driver got in a small fender bender, no one was hurt.

But my driver says his insurance is not going to pay for the wreck since he was at work, but he was driving is own car and it was his fault

he comes to work telling me i have to buy him a new car. I was shocked. I am not buying him anything.

He was like, everyone i have talked to says its your fault and you owe me a new car. it was really kinda funny.

I was just like ok if you say so. whatever.

it really pist me off, im about to fire him.

I just wanted to vent…

Re: Stupid delivery driver got in small wreck and wants new

Its his fault for not finding out if his insurance would cover such a ‘fender bender’… He’s lucky he didn’t wreck it or get hurt.

Did he at least deliver the pizzas before they got slid? lol

Yea he was on the way back from the delivery after he dropped it off.

I am getting so sick of him talking about this like he knows what he is talking about.

I was the the accident was your fault you were driving your car. He goes no its your fault since i was working for you and on the clock. i was like, oh ya i was driving your car when you got in the wreck i forgot. god im pist

he is just like, you need to get this figured out right now my car is messed up. I said i figured it out, you wrecked your car that sucks.

and i was nice enough to load up my car trailer and tow him out of the ditch so he did not get his car towed and impounded. i prolly saved him 400 bucks in towing and impound. and his stupid car is worth like 500 bucks

My concern is that if his insurance will not cover the loss, then does that then make you and your insurance liable to the person he hit?

You know if his insurance won’t cover them, then they will remember your delivery sign on his car and come after you.

I’d be speaking to your own insurance company IMMEDIATELY to CYA!

yea i dunno, im not too worried about it, but your right ill look into it

Just out of curiosity, when did this happen?

And why in gods name did he tell his insurance company he was working for you at the time of the accident? That was stupid on his part. Was there another car involved? And who’s fault was it? Or are you in a no fault state?

well the kid is an idiot.

it happend on satuarday, he pulled out in front of a truck and the truck was speeding and hit him at like 30 or so.

and he had no money for a tow, so i went out there with my truck and trailer and towed it home for him.

it was his fault he got a ticket for it.

Fire him for getting a traffic violation on the clock.

:lol:
And for taking so long on that delivery.

What a bonerhead. Might also want to get something in writing from all drivers that they will maintain proper insurance and understand you are no liable for their stupidity.

Do you guys deliver without delivery insurance? It seems crazy to risk your business on the actions of a 19 year old delivery driver (regardless if it’s his/her fault or not). If he had hit a child on a bike, GAME OVER.

jokergerm do you have “Non-owned” auto insurance?..

They’re right. Make sure you have proper liability insurance. But it is still the driver’s fault and I would not want to pay for his reckless driving.

we carry the washington state insurance plan for the business for drivers. It corvers the busniess if we get sued from the accident its

We dont carry the non owend auto policy that costs like 5k a year.

I have talked to alot of pizza owners about this and have come to the conculsion that if a driver kills some one of really messes them up a 1,000000.00 dollar poilcy is not gonna cover it, and its gonna be game over anyways.

i could be wrong but we have 19 Pizza places in washington, and it has been fine for the last 8 years we have been a franschise.

anyways, he is worryed about his 500.00 dollar car, i am tempted to buy some POS on craigslist for 100.00 bucks and be like merry christmas and fire his a**

STOP!!

Do not call your insurance company and start chatting up the details of this matter. It could be recorded as a claim/report, and you could risk non-renewal or rate hike. When you call, ask in terms of hypotheticals and what-ifs. Once you find out what the score is with them, you can make an informed decision what you want to do about claims and reporting. They are not in the business of just conferring on matters that could expose them to risk . . . they are in the business of reducing exposure. Keep that in mind as you do your reconnaissance.

“yea i dunno, im not too worried about it, but your right ill look into it”

You should be worried.

A few thoughts: if your driver has a $500 car, my guess is that he does not have collision coverage on it and the reason the insurance company will not pay is that he does not have coverage.

You need to require that drivers notify insurance companies that they drive at work.

Coaching employees not to say they are at work if they get in an accident is irresponsible, dishonest and unfair to the employee.

This is an important warning to all of you readers that do not protect yourself by purchasing hired and non-owned coverage. Yes it costs $5000. Small price to pay. Frankly, I am astonished that a chain of stores with 19 locations does not have this coverage. The national franchise organizations require it. A million in coverage goes a long way. An extra million costs almost nothing more. Without this coverage, a fender bender with a BMW could cost you the store.

I am not familiar with the state program that you mention, but it sounds like the one here in Colorado. That coverage does not protect you from this scenario.

Buy the coverage, divide the cost by the numbers of annual deliveries and add the result to your delivery charge. For me it comes to about 15 cents per delivery.

ok, i never ever lied and said not to tell your insurance.

When i driver gets hired we give them a packet that states, you must have insurance ans they need to inform there company that they deliver pizza.

I am not planning on calling my insurance. I think what he means is that his insurance is only going to pay for the other guys car, and not his car, because he ony has liability coverage.

This kid is just mad and he and his drop out freinds seem to think i owe him a car. because i have money, or some crap

You already did pay for his car.

He should have used the mileage or commission you pay him for the use of his car to buy insurance.

wow I really can’t believe that you would allow the potential future of your business to rest in the hands of your drivers. You allow them to choose to be insured or not whe they driver for you?

Let me think will your drivers tell their own insurers and pay the extra premium? Most are very unlikely to.

So the first accident they have, their insurer finds out they are delivering pizza, tell the driver they are not covered and the 3rd party comes after you. I don’t know what the washington state insurance plan is but any kind of additonal insurance is going to expect you to have taken reasonable steps to avoid the risk (i.e. if they can find that you’ve not taken reasonable step then they’ll try and get out of paying your claim). This is exactly the same way as any other insurance you have i.e. your buildings cover expect you to take reasonable steps to protect your building etc.

If you’ve told your drivers you expect them to add business coverage to their own insurance then I’d think most people and more improtantly most insurance companies would say it is reasonable that as an employer you check that by seeing some form of confirmation (which of course you don’t have).

It really gets my goat that there are people masquaring as professional businesses that actually don’t give a stuff about anyone else. Yet I bet their’d be the first to scream if one of their family were injured by an un-insured driver, or one of their suppliers didn’t take reasonable steps to protect their own business or one of their employees didn;t take reasonable steps to protect their business i.e. leaving and alarm off or leaving a door unlocked.

Sure, I only insure my drivers cars on a 3rd party basis so if they are in an accident their own car isn;t directly insured but
a) they are all road legal and they have full 3rd party insurance whilst they are on my time
b) I carry legal cover which assists them if they suffer a loss as a result of someone elses fault
c) we check all driver documents every 3 months
d) the drivers are explained and all sign a declaration when they start which details what is and isn’t covered by our insurance so there are no suprises and this document also states that we recommend they take out additional coverage for their own vehicle.

I said we require them to have insurance and must provide there insurance card

Are you serious? I pay about $4300 per year and that includes my general liability and non-owned vehicle insurance.

I’m not going to advertise my insurance company, but if you’re interested, PM me. I’m in CA, but I’m fairly sure they do business in other states as I first found them at Pizza Expo in Vegas.