Continue to Site

Stupid delivery driver got in small wreck and wants new car

Re: Stupid delivery driver got in small wreck and wants new

All Due respect, it isn’t your driver’s responsibility to provide the insurance for delivering pizza on YOUR time. It is yours. I can see that your philosiphy is that if something does happen, your employees are to lie to their insurance company and say that it happened on their own time. What happens if they run someone over? Face it, you cheated and now you have to pay the price. YOU put those drivers at risk by putting them out ther uninsured. And, I’ve news for you, your insurance company is not going to buy the hypothetical scenario. They are professionals. They call those red flags, and your conversation with them WILL go into your file, and likely they will investigate your situation and drop you.

Honestly, I am shocked you have the nerve to go on and on about your “idiot” employee online, I would be embarrased.

Tom R

Last edited:
Tom R:
All Due respect, it isn’t your driver’s responsibility to provide the insurance for delivering pizza on YOUR time. It is yours. I can see that your philosiphy is that if something does happen, your employees are to lie to their insurance company and say that it happened on their own time. What happens if they run someone over? Face it, you cheated and now you have to pay the price. YOU put those drivers at risk by putting them out ther uninsured. And, I’ve news for you, your insurance company is not going to buy the hypothetical scenario. They are professionals. They call those red flags, and your conversation with them WILL go into your file, and likely they will investigate your situation and drop you.

Honestly, I am shocked you have the nerve to go on and on about your “idiot” employee online, I would be embarrased.

Tom R
The above just about covers your exposure. But, the plot thickens with respect to him on YOUR time in a hypotheticial scenario.

I show up at YOUR shop two months later with thousands in bills. I’m the dudette/dude your driver hit and man, I have a ton of medical and personal property expenses. What now? It is not like you notified your insurance company as to the incident or did it in a timely manner.

Something to ponder and even more so that you have exposed yourself here, online. Your stance is so wrong; I hope others that are reading understand that.

PD

Last edited:

OK I need to chime in here because the question still needs to be answered. Let us first start with some givens.

Given #1 proper non-owned third party coverage is in place by the pizza shop owner.

Given #2 the driver has informed his insurance company that he is using his car to deliver pizza and they have insured him with the proper policy.

The question remains who is responsible for the damages to the delivery driver’s car?

Last edited:
230_2.png
Daddio:
The question remains who is responsible for the damages to the delivery driver’s car?
Who knows what a jury will decide…
http://nwitimes.com/articles/2004/09/03/updates/updates/a225e3ca8685766b86256f0400696ff8.txt

Actually, my very successful trial lawyer sister-in-law said that you need to be careful not to be OVER-insured, as that will attract ambulance chasers. Only insure that which you cannot afford to lose. Deep pockets attract lawsuits.

Last edited:

“who is responsible for the damages to the delivery driver’s car”

The driver is responsible not the store. Plain and simple. It has nothing to do with the fact that the driver is working for you and every thing to do with the fact that the driver is paid for the use of that car.

The store pays the driver “mileage” for the use of the car. If the driver chooses not to use the money received to BUY COLLISION INSURANCE that will cover damage to his pwn car, that is the drivers choice.

Liability for damage to others is another thing alltogether. In most stores where the driver drives his own car, the driver must have a policy covering his own liability and must notify his insurance company that he uses the car for delivery. Store owners need to have hired and non-owned coverage to protect themselves.

Last edited:

And if they do have “Non Owned Auto Insurance” report every incident like this that comes along…Sorry to say in my adjusting days I saw far too many claims come back years later and the insurers deny the claims because of breach of the “reporting” provisions of the policy…

Last edited:

Tom you should be embarrased to comment about this online. when you have no idea what your even talking about

Where the F*** did i ever say they were to lie to them about it, and that it was on there own time, you are putting words in my mouth and i dont like it

I said we give them a packet and there are to notify the insurnace that they deliver pizzas

man people like you make me mad

Last edited:

Wow! You must be loosing a lot of sleep over this, your post came in at 1:52 a.m.
Okay, so I will take back the comment on telling them to lie, I see that it was someone else who made the statement about when the accident took place. That said, there are still the facts, as you stated:

You say that you give your employees a packet stating that they must get their own insurance for delivering.

You don’t actually follow up on the above requirement, I am not putting words into your mouth on this because if you did actually require to see confirmation of coverage, you would have known that your driver wasn’t covered. I know that from my experience, when we started delivering, we tried that route, and we could not find any insurance company that would cover drivers on their personal policy.

You decided after consulting with other pizza operators that Non-owned coverage wasn’t worth the trouble.
If you had asked advice on this forum, I don’t know of any of these professional operators that would have advised you to pass on the coverage. Incidently, this isn’t the first time the subject has come up. One thing I’ve always appreciated about the community on this site is that it is made up of good business people with integrity and who take pride in their craft. I am not the only one here that got a little peaved that you make like it’s a big surprise when your driver’s insurance company won’t foot the bill.

I get it that you are upset with the driver. Yeah, he should have been more careful, but these things happen, that’s why we carry insurance. And I will not apologise for saying you took a chance and lost, because you knew the consequences from the research you did, remember the part when you said you decided not to spend the 5K on the non-owned insurance?

What have I got to be embarrased about? I’m one of the legitimate operators on this forum who does things by the book, I try to make it honestly, and all explitives aside, I get a little irritated when I see someone whom I view as a cheater go on and on…
I hope things work out and everyone learns a lesson. But please don’t call me out on this again, I won’t waste anymore time on the subject.

Tom R

Last edited:
Tom R:
Wow! You must be loosing a lot of sleep over this,
That’s “losing”, not “loosing”. I have now decided that I will spend the rest of my life fighting this pet peeve of mine.

Last edited:

non-owned auto insurance won’t cover you in the situation this post first started as i.e. covering OUR driver. It is there to protect the business NOT our driver.

As I mentioned ijn a previous post I set our clearly to each driver when they start what is and isn’t covered and they sign this statement. I also check frequetly all of the drivers and vehicle documents to make sure they can still drive AND are insured to drive to/from work. IF they want to cover their own car then that is up to them if they then crash and come to me for money for their own car I give them legal assistance if it isn’t their fault or if it is their fault well they are on their own if they didn’t take my advice to get cover.

What annoys me more tha anything is operators who have NO insurance or who leave the decision up to their employee’s (effectively the same as having no insurance evenmoreso when you don;t chek on them) because when one of these guys has an accident people like me (who does have insurance) ultimately picks up the bill for the uninsured through my insurance premiums. So not only are your dirvers operating illgally (by not having insurance) you end up loading my insurance premiums as well.

And I bet you’d be one of the first to come crying on here when it all goes wrong and they come after you personally for money.

Last edited:

LOL, HEY, THATS WHY I NEEVER LERNT ANUTHER LANGUAGGE. CANT MASTER THIS WON!

STUPuD SPELL CHECK ON THIS STUUPID CUMPUUTER ANY WAAY!

Yeah, I noticed that “peaved” thing after I hit “submit”, but I totally missed the other one.

Tom R

Last edited:

A couple of years ago when I got a sizable rate increase on my non-owned coverage I went around to the other shops in town to ask the owners (we all know each other) who they were with for insurance hoping to find a better alternative. I was shocked to learn that NOT ONE OF THEM had coverage. No wonder our rates are so high.

One of them told me he did not need coverage since his drivers were all independant contractors… another myth that will lead to an expensive lesson.

Bozos.

Last edited:
48.png
bodegahwy:
You need to require that drivers notify insurance companies that they drive at work.

Coaching employees not to say they are at work if they get in an accident is irresponsible, dishonest and unfair to the employee.
Should he also pay drivers a mileage rate that covers all actual vehicle expenses AND Commercial Insurance?
48.png
bodegahwy:
Buy the coverage, divide the cost by the numbers of annual deliveries and add the result to your delivery charge. For me it comes to about 15 cents per delivery.
You can also pay at least minimum wage plus at least the current IRS mileage rate of 58.5 cents per mile (or actual costs) so the drivers can afford proper insurance.

The only “stupid†thing I see here is owners saving a buck per delivery while betting their entire business that no accident will bankrupt them.

gregster:
Should he also pay drivers a mileage rate that covers all actual vehicle expenses AND Commercial Insurance?

You can also pay at least minimum wage plus at least the current IRS mileage rate of 58.5 cents per mile (or actual costs) so the drivers can afford proper insurance.

The only “stupid†thing I see here is owners saving a buck per delivery while betting their entire business that no accident will bankrupt them.
No - the company pays for the commerical insurance as the driver is driving for the company that way the company knows 100% that drivers are covered, that premiums have been paid etc.

Yes you can pay min wage and mileage however the driver doesn’t need to pay the commerical insurance as the business pays for this.

Yes - it is stupid for an owner to risk his business hoping he doesn’t have a business.

As I said in other post sounds like you have an axe to grind abut how much you get paid. Look around there are plenty of good operators who have proper insurance and pay above min wage and reasonable mileage. If you ain’t getting piad what you think you should and ain’t insured whilst your on the road then go get another job with a good business.

Last edited:
Wizzle Wassell:
No - the company pays for the commerical insurance as the driver is driving for the company that way the company knows 100% that drivers are covered, that premiums have been paid etc.

Yes you can pay min wage and mileage however the driver doesn’t need to pay the commerical insurance as the business pays for this.
I think you misunderstood or are extremely generous. If a driver owns their own vehicle they must purchase insurance for it. If they use that vehicle for business use, they must upgrade to commercial insurance or risk not being covered in an accident while at work. I am not aware that ANY business pays for this additional coverage outright. It should however be covered under mileage reimbursement.
Wizzle Wassell:
Yes - it is stupid for an owner to risk his business hoping he doesn’t have a business.

As I said in other post sounds like you have an axe to grind abut how much you get paid. Look around there are plenty of good operators who have proper insurance and pay above min wage and reasonable mileage. If you ain’t getting piad what you think you should and ain’t insured whilst your on the road then go get another job with a good business.
Should I just ignore the fact that an employer is breaking minimum wage laws? Do you want your competition to be allowed to pay illegal wages and compensation less than you who is in compliance with the law? Should the unfair competition be allowed to continue? What if other shops see that ‘everyone else’ is paying less than the legal minimums, and they too drop their rates to remain competitive? Will you be the last owner standing that remains in compliance as sleeps well at night as your competition profits more than you?

My ‘axe to grind’ lies with businesses that in my opinion are breaking the law. If you as an owner think it is no big deal for other operators to be allowed to pay less than you do, while you foot the bill to be a legit operator, I just don’t understand that.

Insurance - No - din;t misundertsand anything. This post/discussion was about the use of non-owned insurance provided by business owners for their driver whilst at work. As you’ve not heard of this lets take (another look) This type of insurance provides 3rd party coverage (i.e. if the driver is in an accident the other party can claim from the policy). This is a standard approach, if you’ve not heard of it then you’ve not worked for a business who wants to protect tself. This insurance ensures the driver is always road legal i.e. they are fully insured for delivering pizza. A lot of private policies do not alow pizza delivery to be added or indeed it costs an arm and a leg. Of course I check that all of my drivers have their own insurance to driver to and from work and also I check their license and other documents on a regaulr basis to ensure that they remain ‘legal’

Of course if the driver is in an accident which is their fault then our insurance doesn’t pay them it only pays out to the other party. So I normally advise my guys to top up their own insurance if they so wish (with the above provisio that many companies will decline it or charge a lot). I pay reasonable mileage allowance and I know that several of my guys have topped up their own cover. That is their choice entirely. All of this is expalined at interview, and in a written statement which they sign when starting to ensure there are no ‘misunderstandings’. Business is covered, driver is covered.

With regards to minimum wage - if you are not being paid minimum wage then report the business to the authorities don’t post on there telling us what to pay people! Don;t go giving me a hard time about it report the business!!!

Last edited:
Wizzle Wassell:
Insurance - No - din;t misundertsand anything. This post/discussion was about the use of non-owned insurance provided by business owners for their driver whilst at work.
Yes, I understand that and know what non-owned insurance is. My point is that the OP is complaining that the ‘stupid driver’ is not covered for the damages to his vehicle and has come to the owner for relief. The OP has not stated if he pays at least minimum wage and full cost vehicle reimbursement. I hope it is simply the drivers fault for not having adequate insurance and that the OP did not contribute to the lack of insurance by not paying adequate wages and reimbursement.

If the OP pays and compensates legally, he has a right to be upset at the driver. As other posters have noted, the OP seems to be cutting corners on his own insurance. It would not seem unreasonable to me that he may be cutting corners on pay and reimbursement also.
Wizzle Wassell:
… I pay reasonable mileage allowance …
Reasonable to who… You? Is it at least the IRS rate?
Wizzle Wassell:
With regards to minimum wage - if you are not being paid minimum wage then report the business to the authorities don’t post on there telling us what to pay people! Don;t go giving me a hard time about it report the business!!!
I’m sorry that you find my pointing out minimum wage law compliance as giving you ‘a hard time’. If you are in fact in compliance then it is a non issue for you.

Back