Continue to Site

Stupid delivery driver got in small wreck and wants new car

Re: Stupid delivery driver got in small wreck and wants new
gregster:
I’m sorry that you find my pointing out minimum wage law compliance as giving you ‘a hard time’. If you are in fact in compliance then it is a non issue for you.
Just seems like you came out of nowhere to be a pain in the butt.

Last edited:
Dewar's Pizza Bakery:
Is compliance with minimum wage law a ‘pain in the butt’ for you?

I believe informing owners about legal issues that they may not be aware of or misinformed about to be helpful. I see many owners and operators here sharing ways and information on how to stay out of trouble regarding insurance issues. Some here choose not to follow good advice at their own peril. Not being in compliance with state and federal laws is just as risky.

If a business operates for years and years unknowingly (or even knowingly) in violation of minimum wage laws, and something happens to bring the issue to light (like when lawyers get involved in this car accident issue), the business could suddenly find themselves liable for thousands of dollars in back wages and more in DOL fines. Isn’t it just better to be in compliance in the first place?

Dewar's Pizza Bakery:
gregster:
I’m sorry that you find my pointing out minimum wage law compliance as giving you ‘a hard time’. If you are in fact in compliance then it is a non issue for you.
I am amused and amazed at how a newbie to this board can get the veterans so worked up. There is obviously an agenda in mind here. Out of 13 posts gregster has made all have been slanted toward compliance with wages and reimbursement, quoting laws and statutes of what ever government agency to back up his point.

gregsters profile states occupation: delivery driver. gregster if you are having an issue with your employer take it up with them rather than assuming that this forum will solve the issues you have with them . You may have assumed those who frequent the Think Tank are all out to make money at the expence of their staff. We know that without our employees business suffers greatly.

This thread was started by someone who was asking a simple question: Who is responsible for the damage to the drivers car when the driver is at fault? If you have doubts as to the answer to that question ask your insurance company!

Last edited:

Ok so this kid was so stupid, I misunderstood what he said.

I just found out the whole reason his insurance will not cover his car is because he only had liability coverage. not full coverage.

My driver could not grasp the concept that liability only covers the other guys car.

He kept tellin me i have insurance but they wont fix my car, cause i was at work for you.

Im like no, you have minimal coverage that does not cover your car.

It was very painful, he threw a stack of menus at me and i fired him

Last edited:

WAIT! You mean this isn’t a case of an owner maliciously under compensating the driver and taking advantage of his car for the purpose of socking away profits? I think I’m confused now.

It sounds like you’re trying to say that the issue revolves around the driver’s own ignorance and personal responsibility rather than some fault of yours. Then the whole menu throwing thing . . . unfortunate to say the least.

I feel for the guy, though. I just blew a head gasket in my jalopy and have to go hunt for a new car myself. Wish I could afford another car . . . my insurance won’t pay for a head gasket replacement.

Last edited:
60.png
NicksPizza:
I feel for the guy, though. I just blew a head gasket in my jalopy and have to go hunt for a new car myself. Wish I could afford another car . . . my insurance won’t pay for a head gasket replacement.
That’s why the government should provide universal “no-responsibility” coverage. No one should have to deal with the unexpected. Life should be predictable and when it isn’t, the government should step in to make it all better. After all, our mothers kissed our little boo-boos and made it all okay. Just because we became adults shouldn’t mean the taxpayers can’t provide the same assurance. Who likes hardship? Not me! It is crazy in this day and age that we should have to pay for anything ourselves!

Last edited:
Dewar's Pizza Bakery:
That’s why the government should provide universal “no-responsibility” coverage. No one should have to deal with the unexpected. Life should be predictable and when it isn’t, the government should step in to make it all better. After all, our mothers kissed our little boo-boos and made it all okay. Just because we became adults shouldn’t mean the taxpayers can’t provide the same assurance. Who likes hardship? Not me! It is crazy in this day and age that we should have to pay for anything ourselves!
Charles - I think you posted on the wrong forum - you needed the banking forum for that kind of post. You also need to add your banking details so that the ‘boo-boo’ payment can be made straight to your account - is that $20 or $30 million today sir?

Last edited:
48.png
NicksPizza:
WAIT! You mean this isn’t a case of an owner maliciously under compensating the driver and taking advantage of his car for the purpose of socking away profits? I think I’m confused now.
We don’t know if the driver was being compensated legally. That part has been left out.

Was the driver being paid at least minimum wage and at least 58.5 cents per mile?

gregster:
The only “stupid†thing I see here is owners saving a buck per delivery while betting their entire business that no accident will bankrupt them.
gregster:
We don’t know if the driver was being compensated legally. That part has been left out.
Was the driver being paid at least minimum wage and at least 58.5 cents per mile?
I know I am a ‘stupid’ owner, but I think the answer at this point . . . in this thread . . . is that it doesn’t matter to any/many of us. This discussion isn’t about minimum wage laws, but insurance coverage and unrealistic (potentially fraudulent) expectations of an employee to garner payment for an underinsured vehicle by basically lying by omission. Driver had insufficient insurance for getting his own car repaired in the case of ANY collision, had a collision, and told employer his insurance wouldn’t pay because he was delivering pizza. Driver is fraudulent, out of pocket and out of luck. His good fortune is that he did not make his claim and demand to employer for money in writing . . . that could be a felony.

* * see some other thread about the potential widespread and uncontrolled under-compensation of delivery drivers by the stupid bourgeois pizza makers * *

Last edited:
Wizzle Wassell:
Dewar's Pizza Bakery:
That’s why the government should provide universal “no-responsibility” coverage.
Charles - I think you posted on the wrong forum - you needed the banking forum for that kind of post. You also need to add your banking details so that the ‘boo-boo’ payment can be made straight to your account - is that $20 or $30 million today sir?
Or Billion! Geez. At least it looks like they are starting to question these handouts with the automakers.

Put me in charge. I will give the $750 BILLION to all the hardworking small business people who did nothing to cause this but are suffering and footing the bill for the consequences.

Last edited:
48.png
NicksPizza:
gregster:
The only “stupid†thing I see here is owners saving a buck per delivery while betting their entire business that no accident will bankrupt them.
gregster:
I know I am a ‘stupid’ owner, but I think the answer at this point . . . in this thread . . . is that it doesn’t matter to any/many of us. This discussion isn’t about minimum wage laws, but insurance coverage and unrealistic (potentially fraudulent) expectations of an employee to garner payment for an underinsured vehicle by basically lying by omission. Driver had insufficient insurance for getting his own car repaired in the case of ANY collision, had a collision, and told employer his insurance wouldn’t pay because he was delivering pizza. Driver is fraudulent, out of pocket and out of luck. His good fortune is that he did not make his claim and demand to employer for money in writing . . . that could be a felony.

* * see some other thread about the potential widespread and uncontrolled under-compensation of delivery drivers by the stupid bourgeois pizza makers * *
“I think the answer at this point . . . in this thread . . . is that it doesn’t matter to any/many of us.”

Wow, you sure made my point for me. That IS the point! Minimum wage laws don’t seem to matter because you all think that since drivers get tips, you can ignore the fact that drivers are undercompensated for use of their vehicles. Not a single person has been able to refute the facts I have posted, so you would rather dismiss me by saying that the facts ‘don’t matter’ to us. So much for those who say ‘we support wage law compliance’. Now you admit that it doesn’t matter.

The more I read these posts and the ones on the other thread, the more I’m confident that I’m doing the best system. We provide the delivery car, fully owned, maintained and insured by the business. Drivers have to have an almost perfect driving record (I barely qualify!) and need to work for us for a while before they earn our trust. (Needless to say, right now I’m the delivery person most evenings and hubby works the shift on weekends.) I have one employee who is a good hard worker but in his own car and life has a few driving incidents so I cut off his delivery privileges. We’re in a state without tip credits so I don’t even know how that works. (Minimum wage here is like $8.25!!) Any tips are added to the employees’ pool since everyone works at serving the customers. In between delivering, the delivery person helps out in the restaurant.

I think since the image of my restaurant is largely focused on my car (a wrapped Scion xB), I would hate to hire people with jalopies to drive around. There is just too much risk on so many fronts, I think it would be better to not deliver if I didn’t have all the pieces in place.

Last edited:

I’ve got no problem with your setup, marbles2.

Have you ever figured out the true cost per mile of your delivery vehicle or do you use the rate published by the IRS?

Hi, folks -

I’m an owner of a new RDS, posting for the first time. Thanks for letting me lurk and learn for so long in the shadows!

Here in Iowa, my insurance agent says that my only option for purchasing the hired/not owned insurance is through the state’s “assigned risk pool” – and yes, it is pricey. Roughly $770 per driver per year for the bare minimum of $55K in coverage.

Does anyone here know of a company that writes these policies nationwide and offers either a better rate or better coverage for the money? If so, I’d appreciate a referral.

Also, if anyone would be inclined to share the information sheet they give their drivers regarding adequate coverage and such, I’d be grateful to see it. PM me or post it if you can. Frankly, anything you’d like to share that would be helpful regarding drivers and safety, etc., would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

miss neo:
Hi, folks -

I’m an owner of a new RDS, posting for the first time. Thanks for letting me lurk and learn for so long in the shadows!

Here in Iowa, my insurance agent says that my only option for purchasing the hired/not owned insurance is through the state’s “assigned risk pool” – and yes, it is pricey. Roughly $770 per driver per year for the bare minimum of $55K in coverage.

Does anyone here know of a company that writes these policies nationwide and offers either a better rate or better coverage for the money? If so, I’d appreciate a referral.

Also, if anyone would be inclined to share the information sheet they give their drivers regarding adequate coverage and such, I’d be grateful to see it. PM me or post it if you can. Frankly, anything you’d like to share that would be helpful regarding drivers and safety, etc., would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Lisa
Best to start a new thread. There are a couple of companies that specialize in this insurance that advertise in the trade journals. Start a new post while I look for them.

Last edited:

yet another reason why im so glad i don’t deliver, i would hate to think what it would cost to insure drivers with our horrible roads here in alaska.

sheb

Last edited:
gregster:
48.png
NicksPizza:

I have been reading these forums for a while but never felt the need to respond until now. I have been a delivery driver in the past, although my primary focus was in the kitchen. I am currently in the process of opening my own shop and have been researching things such as these to prepare myself for my opening next week.

The IRS has nothing to do with setting minium wage or enforcing minimum wage, the department of labor governs wage laws. The IRS rate of 58.5 cents per mile is simply the amount you are allowed to write off against your earnings. It is simply a tax benefit for people who use their own vehicles in their line of work.
Any additional compensation, such as mileage reimbursement is not mandated by law. I dont know exact numbers for other states, but here in MA the minium wage for tipped employees is $2.63 + tips, and the employer is only required to additionally compensate the employee if the tips given do not bring the total hourly rate above $8 per hour, which is the minimum wage for non-tipped employees. If you area delivery driver by profession, you should keep records and then use that rate of 58.5 cents for mile to decrease your tax liability in April.

Of course, nobody here pays drivers 2.63, most places i know of pay ~$7-8. Most drivers i have met earn $13/hr+ with tips and mileage reimbursement. Some people i know who receive hours during the peak business periods (weekend nights) even average $20/hr+.

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but i just wanted to point out the difference between tax codes and labor laws to employees that have an axe to grind.

Charles -

Thanks very much for the assist!

Lisa 🙂

to make this whole thread just that much better, and drag it on some more.

That stupid kid and his buddies thought it would be a good idea to break in rob my safe after he got fired.

And of course the cops are too lazy and stupid to do anything about it.

they got my safe with about 1200 bucks in it, luckily my insuracne will cover it.

This whole deal sucks im pist.

Last edited:
Back