POS Systems... Diamond Touch VS. PDQ

PLEASE DO NOT BUY DIAMOND TOUCH! TOM BRONSON DOES NOT STAND BY HIS WORD. WE HAVE REPEATEDLY ASKED FOR A REFUND AND HE HAS REFUSED TO COMPLY. I HAVE WASTED SO MUCH TIME AND MONEY IN THIS CRAPPY SYSTEM. IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR A FULL-SERIVCE POS SYSTEM, THIS IS NOT, BY ANY MEANS, THE ONE YOU SHOULD BE INVESTING IN. INSTEAD, YOU SHOULD RESEARCH WHAT YOUR PARTICULAR RESTAURANT WOULD NEED, AVOIDING DIAMOND TOUCH IN THIS SEARCH. IN CONCLUSION, DO NOT BUY DIAMOND TOUCH!

The only way that I comprehend you calling Diamond Touch a “good system” is if you have an only delivery business. I own a full-service restaurant that uses Diamond Touch, and we have only had problems with it. They currently offfer a full refund for customers who are not fully satisfied. They have yet to give us our refund even after all the the time and money we have wasted due to their system. I encourage everyone to stay away from this POS system! :evil:

I have had Diamond Touch since my opening on March 6th, 2008 and strongly urge you to re-evaluate other suppliers as an alternative POS selection. On the upside, their customer support staff is responsive and friendly. On the downside, their hardware is behind the curve and the software has created numerous (highly frustrating) errors that have led to excess food waste & excess labor cost.

The 1 key variable that may differntiate your needs from mine is whether or not your restaurant is full service or an order at the counter style (with delivery) pizzeria.

My restaurant is full service & I do not offer delivery. However, when I met Tom Brosnon (Diamond Touch-President) at last September’s Pizza Expo in Atlantic City, he confidently assured me that Diamond Touch could easily support a full service restaurant. He was absoltely wrong.

Tom Bronson states a customer satisfaction refund guarantee within his own company’s website, as well as an ad Diamond Touch ran in May’s edition of Pizza Today magazine. To date, Mr. Bronson has avoided his refund pledge and only offered to buy back the software ($3,000.00) versus my total $20,000.00 investmnet in Diamond Touch. To add more credibility to my case, I hired 2 excellent consultants (Joe Carlucci & Tony Gemignani of the World Pizza Champions) for my pre-opening & opening. Both of these men could easily attest to my claims.

I don’t have the answer as to which POS is the best for your needs, but please be aware of my issues before making your decision.

Regards,

Joe moore

Off the top of my head, here is our current thoughts on the POS systems we have considered.

Even though DiamondTouch is local to us, we decided against them after meeting with the salesman at their offices for a demonstration. They system had glitches on the screen. Mind you, this is the demo setup at THEIR offices. Then the salesman was testy with us. Big turnoff. Lastly, it was Access-based and they were rewriting for SQL. The upgrade would not be free. So why would we invest in old technology?

We really, really liked Intura’s product. Very slick and they, too, were local to us. Unfortunately, when I explained my concerns over the founder of the company becoming one of the owners of the Garlic Jim’s franchise here, he got snippy and said, “Good luck with Speedline”. (Went to check out the new Garlic Jim’s that he is an owner of. Easily $30K worth of Intura’s products in there. Flat panels everywhere! LOL. Must be nice.)

Revention is probably out with us since we don’t want to be tied to their online service. It seems too much like putting all our eggs in one basket. Their ads are also overly aggressive in our opinion.

Point of Success has a great price point, a loyal following, a dedicated owner, and the right attitude about allowing self-installation. Unfortunately, it does not seem they see online ordering as imperative as we do.

Speedline looks terrific and their online/remote ordering API is very full-featured. I mean, very cool. It would allow us to have a remote call center, online ordering, you name it. If we go with Speedline, this would be the primary reason. Unfortunately, I could not get any information on the specifics of it. Rather, said my programmer would need to “purchase” the API. Another problem is the proprietary/closed database they use, which requires the purchase of an ODBC client to use, should we wish to access the data. So they are VERY protected, to the point that it makes purchasing their product risky. In addition, they will not let you self-install your system unless you pay $15,000 to get “certified” by them. Since my partner and I are IT professionals, the install cost is a waste of valuable startup resources.

Firefly has been very helpful and friendly. This may be the deciding factor in picking a company. Josh should be proud of that fact. He has really put up with a lot of PITA questions from me. Open database (mySQL) for our custom programming and some very interesting features. Though they will not budge on disallowing self-installs, they have made some significant price concessions on a basic system. As a startup, this is critical. Online ordering is not very sophisticated as the system just accepts an XML file from the online provider and returns a confirmation code. Not a tight integration. As it is a web-based app, we may be able to come up with something else on our own to work with it.

I am sure I am leaving out many other POS systems that we have reviewed. It just gets so jumbled over time.

Last edited:
Hi Charles,

Re your SpeedLine comments, I thought I’d fill in some blanks:

On data access: Actually, each SpeedLine installation includes both an ODBC driver (to use with any ODBC-compatible database tools) and an Enterprise Manager utility that you can use to query the database directly. Either way, you have full access to your data. And if you have multiple locations, SpeedLink Enterprise provides more options for direct data access and integration with other systems.

On online ordering: Yep, OrderLink is cool. While I can’t give you a copy of the API, I can share more details about the capabilities if you’re interested. Send me a PM if you’d like to know more.

As for the installation: We know from experience how important the hands-on training is. But you may want to discuss a condensed on-site schedule with your sales rep to keep the cost as low as possible while still ensuring that you get off to a successful start.

Feel free to PM me offline if you have questions – or call your sales rep directly.

Thanks,

Jennifer@SpeedLine

Last edited:
Jennifer,

I rechecked my email. I was wrong in saying I was told to buy an ODBC module. It was only the API that I was told to buy. But it is not that I want the actual API, just some documentation on it to show my programmer. And not the sales stuff, but the technical stuff. So that he can give me an idea of the complexity of programming our online site.

As far as training, it seems silly to do it in person when the world is so connected. Just remote control the screen.

I will send you and the very friendly rep the system specs we need for a new quote.

Last edited:
I have pdq… would NOT recomend to my worst ememy. Tech support is few and far between. And the system very glitch even after 5 years.I personally have had many problems and the tech’s are not very helpfull…buyer beware

:cry: I opened my Pizza Business Dec 1st I bought into PDQ and I am total total unhappy with what they said they where able to provide and what I got. Can anyone help me out their that has had PDQ and has had problems. I cant even get the owner to call back, to see what they are going to do. Also if anyone can give advice to a POS system they can sware by.
Sean

Firefly, Speedline, and Point of Success are all good systems with excellent support and reputation.

Last edited:
I’m currently using Microworks by Prism and am pretty happy with it. As far as your issues with PDQ, maybe if you posted on the main think tank forum you might get a better response. I wouldn’t reccomend that you call them out there, but a general question asking for help there may instigate a response from the company. I do know they at one time followed that forum as I posted some concerns I had about them while looking for a system and they were quick to respond and answer all questions. Good luck and try to get the problems worked out as a $15,000-$25,000 is a huge investment to throw away.

Last edited:
I Work for Signature Systems and I would like to help you solve whatever issues you have with the system. Give me a call here in the office at 1-877-968-6430 ext 113 and i’ll be more then happy to assist you.

Thanks,
Jay

😃 I am a former customer of PDQ. I bought my system in 2000. I never had any problems. When I sold my shop in 2007 PDQ was the only piece of equipment I kept. At this time it sits in my basement awaiting the day I might want to get back in the bizz. In defense of all these companies, your not going to find any of them who don’t have a few customers that aren’t happy. Software is software but every pizza shop is run differently.
Code:
    Yeah good POS systems are expensive, but have you ever tried to run your business with pencil and paper? Most of you haven't. You either buy a shop that has a system or the first thing you buy is a POS. You then complain about every little detail. You expect the POS to run your business and train your employees. Great next time I buy a car I should expect it to drive me around and never break down. Oh but I paid 28,000 for my car why shouldn't it do that.
PDQ = good

To be honest, I’d rather have a new car than my diamondcrap system, especially for the amount of money I paid for it.

I get what you’re saying though. There is no such thing as a perfect system. But with DiamondCrap, there are soooooooooooooooooooo many things that are just downright stupid and it makes me wonder sometimes if they had a team of monkeys write the software.

Last edited:
I did look at diamond touch. I made the decision to buy PDQ after my 65 year old mother (who at the time worked part time in my shop) went to the Vegas pizza convention. She had never used a computer and didn’t even know how to use a VCR yet. Before she left I had the other companies come in and demo for us. She said if I purchased a POS system she would never answer the phone again. On her trip to Vegas one of the PDQ reps got a hold of her and the rest was history. After a few weeks with the system she was a addicted. I would always joke around with her saying “I’m thinking about sending the system back” she would aways flip out and all the employees would laugh.
Like I said if you never used pen and paper your not going to appreciate any system. Plus when I say Pos systems are like cars, I mean they only have so many miles on them before you have to trade them in. They aren't a piece of metal that turns like your oven and Hobart mixer. Technology changes computers get outdated and manufactures stop making parts for old systems. Its the price of being in the pizza business.

WOW :shock:

I don’t know if I am more confused or not? We are opening this fall and still searching for the right system. I think I will cancel my appointment to preview Diamond Touch. There are enough negative comments here to scare me away. Thanks.

Of all the things I have to purchase this one is still my toughest decision. I am so unsettled it’s driving me nuts.

I am ready to hand write everything.

I do however appreciate everyone’s comments in this thread. I may have to dig deeper into PDQ.

Thanks

Last edited:
Diamond Touch has proven to be a completely unreliable system. It has caused a lot of aggravation during the entire year and a half my restaurant has used it. To further worsen our situation, Tom Bronson and his tech support have proven to be just as useless as their system. And the “100% Money Back Guarantee” has turned out to be a joke.
As my restaurant struggles to replace this worthless system with a much better system, we are fighting to recieve atleast a fraction of what we have invested into it. Things are not looking good. I deeply regret ever making the decision to buy Diamond Touch. I cannot wait until we have our new system and don’t have to fued with these selfish and irrational people anymore. Honestly, I probably wouldn’t be writing this if Tom Bronson and his staff were more helpful and cooperative. Their opposition is something I have not experienced from any business I have ever worked with.
Potential Buyers Beware.

I have not purchased my POS system yet, but getting close on making a decision.

Why are the POS Systems so expensive?

A couple of stations is essentially just a couple of PC’s, right?

Why are things so complicated that if you want to update a menu you have to be walked through it by some technician?

Hasn’t Software advanced to the point where just going to a menu and picking a feature that says, “add item” or “change price” would work?

I don’t get it. I can buy Video Game System for a few hundred bucks that can run software that has super realistic graphics, incredible animation, sound… and more… and my son can play against people all over the world and talk to them at the same time. All of his stats, records, dates of play, everything down to the smallest detail gets recorded and stored for him to review at any time.

Yet, a computer with a touchscreen monitor where I push a button that says Large Pizza and another button that says Pepperoni … costs me thousands and thousands of dollars.

I know some tech guy will come in with some explanation I don’t understand, and maybe I don’t understand. I am not trying to be a Smart Alic, I really want to know. From a guy who is not very technologically knowledgeable, isn’t the guts of what runs the POS software similar and the software itself doesn’t seem to that sophisticated to warrant such a high price tag.

Last edited:
I think some of it has to do with the amount of money they’ve invested in designing the software, testing and marketing, etc. vs. the number of copies they can sell (which is going to be a lot lower than the number of video games a company can sell).

Some of it is probably just market driven, if people will pay that price, they’re not motivated to go lower. The big scam to me is the charges for support. I think it’s absurd to charge me $65 for a phone call when I’ve spent that much money on a product. I can’t think of anything I’ve ever purchased that would’ve cost me money to call about my purchase.

Last edited:
Back