POS Systems... Diamond Touch VS. PDQ

That makes sense.

Can someone answer this question for me (following the same thought indie mentioned on being charged per call).

I talked to a sales rep for PDQ last week and told me $0 for year 1 and $1110 a year for each year after that. The guy assured me that was it… one time fee of $1110 and that covered all tech support & they will replace any terminal that or unit or station or whatever you call - in the event it needs to be - next day.

Is that true and is the $1100 higher or lower than normal. Or, is the $1110 a smokescreen there are other charges?

Last edited:
Redmeat,

I work for a POS dealership so i will be quite frank with you. The best questions you need to ask are what type of equipment you have, how many terminals, printers, models and who makes them? Is this on site or overnighted through UPS or FEDEX? If something goes wrong what is the response time. when dealing with a large company such as DiamondTouch or PDQ, if something happens Friday night at 6:00PM and say your server crashes who is going to get it running for you if they have to overnight a new terminal? you won’t see it until Monday. I would say if this is local support 24 hours a day for a two terminal or more system then yes its a good deal. but if this is phone support monday through friday 8 - 5 internet support then maybe not. If its crap hardware 1100 is not worth it if it breaks all the time. I would suggest explaining everything you get covered for 1100 and then we could give you a better idea. I have seen a lot of people get ripped off in my area and would hate to see it again even if your not anywhere around me.

Also everyone is right I have seen every system that you guys have talked about here and even more and I have found people who love and hate both of them. But you have to ask even the ones who love them how many errors or glitches they have had. I have had people who love a system even though they need to reboot twice a day and it goes down at least three times a year because their sales reps have made them beleive all systems are like that.

Well I am sitting with 4 quotes, demo disks and all the literature in front of me right now. I have talked to the reps 3 or 4 times each asked a lot of the questions you guys talked about on this board.

They all sound similar from a service standpoint. They all seem to offer similar features. I still can’t believe how expensive it is.

It is ridiculous that I am buying a Pizza Oven, Deep Fryers, Steam Kettles, Cheesemelters, Range w/griddle top, Ice Makers, Refrigeration Units, etc etc etc… and the most expensive item is a couple of computers with software loaded in it.

It is insane. I am going to buy one, but do to the fact that they all seem equally unreliable at times, I am going with the 1 of the 4 that is the least expensive.

3 Stations, 2 Printers, 2 Kitchen receipt printers, Managers Station, 4 Line Caller ID interface, Magnetic Card Readers, Software with 4 users license, Manager and Employee Swipe Cards, Cash Drawers, Web Interface and much much more…

PDQ - 21,000
Firefly - 16,000
Prism (Microworks) 13,500

Can’t find the 4th Price in my notebook… so I don’t want to post a guess.

Last edited:
Re: and Speedline and Firefly and Revention…

Bobbio’s concerns have been heard by Revention and we have a strong commitment to designing solutions that help build business throughout the restaurant industry. This is what keeps Revention motivated to help its customers achieve success. Bobbio’s is currently experiencing a Microsoft problem on a personal computer and all of the files that are necessary to use the Revention software are on his system. Bobbio’s is unwilling to pay for the repairs that are needed to correct the issues with his computer. This could be corrected by a third party company or we are more than happy to evaluate his unit in our repairs lab. We have graciously offered Bobbio’s a refund for the software that they purchased from Revention as an effort of good faith.

Revention strives to satisfy all of our customers. Sometimes in a rare situation like this one, we are unable to make the customer happy and we believe that we have offered a mutually beneficial solution to the problem and we wish Bobbio’s success in their future endeavors.

Kind Regards,
Revention Product Manager

Last edited:
Re: and Speedline and Firefly and Revention…

Bobbio’s concerns have been heard by Revention and we have a strong commitment to designing solutions that help build business throughout the restaurant industry. This is what keeps Revention motivated to help its customers achieve success. Bobbio’s is currently experiencing a Microsoft problem on a personal computer and all of the files that are necessary to use the Revention software are on his system. Bobbio’s is unwilling to pay for the repairs that are needed to correct the issues with his computer. This could be corrected by a third party company or we are more than happy to evaluate his unit in our repairs lab. We have graciously offer Bobbio’s a refund for the software that they purchased from Revention as an effort of good faith.

Revention strives to satisfy all of our customers. Sometimes in a rare situation like this one, we are unable to make the customer happy and we believe that we have offered a mutually beneficial solution to the problem and we wish Bobbio’s success in their future endeavors.

Kind Regards,

Last edited:
Bobbio’s concerns have been heard by Revention and we have a strong commitment to designing solutions that help build business throughout the restaurant industry. This is what keeps Revention motivated to help its customers achieve success. Bobbio’s is currently experiencing a Microsoft problem on a personal computer and all of the files that are necessary to use the Revention software are on his system. Bobbio’s is unwilling to pay for the repairs that are needed to correct the issues with his computer. This could be corrected by a third party company or we are more than happy to evaluate his unit in our repairs lab. We have graciously offered Bobbio’s a refund for the software that they purchased from Revention as an effort of good faith.

Kind Regards,

Last edited:
In my experience with Diamond Touch, BobbiosPizza is pretty much experiencing the same thing as I and many other people have with Diamond Touch, as in… when something happens to the system, or even if you want to upgrade operating systems or any type of hardware that may require a full reinstall, none of us have received any type of install discs or activation. Our only options is to SEND THE PC’S TO THE CREATOR OF THE SOFTWARE SO THEY CAN INSTALL IF FOR US AT A RIDICULES COST! I, as many others are experiencing, find that it is very… VERY bad business on a software developers end to not give the buyer of the software the actual install discs. They paid for the software, they should receive their discs.

We (I and a few other Diamond Touch customers) are currently working with the Better Business Bureau to put a strike against Diamond Touch… we will then be starting litigations so that we may all receive our money back for the software.

Product_Manager, I read in your posts that your company would like to solve BobbiosPizza issue with your software by offering in a full refund on your software. That IS a plus on your end. And if Diamond Touch would simpily do that for us, we would all be happy.
BobbiosPizza, I would suggest that you take the money back for the software that you purchased… remember, it’s only the software that you are having issues with. I assume that you also received the hardware from Revention as well, as did we from Diamond Touch. The Hardware and setup money is gone, you will not be getting that back, but you can still use that hardware for pretty much any other POS system. That is what we are going to do after everything is over with Diamond Touch. We are planning on going with Point of Success http://www.pointofsuccess.com because after the testing that we have done with their Trial version which you can download and install yourself, we find that it has all the same functions, if not a few more, then all the major POS companies… the only Negative that I have found with it is that it does not have pictures of the food. However, because it is such a clean setup, I can overlook that.

If you need any other info let me know.

Last edited:
LOL Software for $500. Oh ok how are you going to install, wire, network, add printers, cash drawer, program menu and layer your pizza toppings. There is a reason why these systems are so expensive.

1.They take a long time to develop
2.They always need updated (which means you need full time programmers)
3. Service and support ( try paying payroll of 10 phone techs sitting around 24/7)

And if you deliver then yes these systems are the most important piece of equipment you own. You can’t be a player in the pizza business if your not tracking you customers. No way No buts. Don’t tell me you make millions writing tickets by hand in multiple stores. I would tell you great you could be making billions with a good POS.

The reasons why they don’t give you a CD with the software on it are
  1. They are always changing the software version( last weeks CD would be different from todays) Its a waste of money
  2. This type of software is coded. so even if you had a CD you would always have to get a code from the manufacture in
    order for it to work. The code changes all the time. A code they give you today won’t work tomorrow. This is done to
    prevent people from stealing the software.
Also no matter which system you buy you can plan on upgrading the hardware and software about every 7 years. Thats just the price of doing business. Today no one uses windows 98 and in 5 years or so no one will be using windows xp. You should plan on budgeting $300 a month on a good POS as long as your in business.$10 a day?1 Large pizza/

Back