Domestic Electric Ovens; Marsal and Bakers Pride

Hey all,

I am exploring the possibility of opening a NY style pizzeria in Brooklyn and am considering only electric ovens given the limitations of the space we are looking at. I was interested in knowing if anyone here has any experience with Marsal or Baker’s Pride electric ovens.

I know the thermostat will go to 700 with heating elements under the stone and on the ceiling. I need to cook consistently at 600 to 625 on the deck, so would be interested in knowing if anyone here can vouch for these ovens being able to handle that. I’m trying to achieve a 4 to 5 minute bake on a round pie.

We have had limited experience with electric ovens. Most complain about high operating cost and slow recovery.

You indicate limited space. Just how much room do you have?

I note that operators often think electric ovens will not require a hood. That is incorrect the hood requirements are the same for both gas and electric ovens. There are some ovens with built in converters that do not require hoods.

George Mills

Problems with regard to these particular models, or older electric ovens (as I’ve heard the electric ovens of the past were indeed awful.)

I do not have limited space; but the space does have limitations as it is not gas equipped.

I would prefer an electric oven for this style anyway (I understand there are expensive Swedish and Italian counterparts that have no problem handling the task) but would like to stay domestic if the Marsal or Bakers Pride can handle it.

What models of BP & Marsal are you considering?
What size pizza are you planing and how many do you project to need to bake during your busiest hour?

George Mills

I just ordered a double stack of Marsal EDO57’s!!! Takes about 2 weeks to build before they ship it out. I will post when I have them up and running…prob in Sept. BTW…I needed an electric, single phase oven for my location. 3 phase and gas was WAY too much money to get set up. Out here in the sticks, my county does NOT require a hood or ansul system for an electric oven. The only permit required was for the electric! No permits required for any of the plumbing or building. Crazy!

I am considering a triple stack of that very oven, Marsal EDO57.

what arrangements have you made to overcome the heat in you kitchen from the ovens and other equipment ?

George mills

Not to mention the emissions coming off of the oven when baking pizzas. I’ve been in small shops without good ventilation and it doesn’t take too long before my eyes begin to burn.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

I currently work a wood fired oven in a small open kitchen with a full hot line, so I understand how hot it can get.

We Will have the space properly cooler and ventilated; that is not my concern right now. I’m much more concerned with finding an oven that can perform within those parameters

We have 2 old Bakers Pride E541s that came with our place when we bought it. I don’t know how old they are, but this place has been here for just over 20yrs. It wouldn’t surprise me to find out that they are the original ovens. Or even that they were bought used then, for that matter.

I don’t bake at that high of a temp (we are around 475, 10ish min bake) but I’ve had very little trouble with them. Recovery hasn’t been an issue, although if you’re cooking closer to the max capacity, that may affect that. When I need to replace them, if I can’t go gas, I would replace them with new versions of these.

I’ve used bakers prides for years before upgrading to Marsals 660 stacked. We love them.

I cook at 550 and its about an 8 minute bake time.
If you are looking for quicker then that it will burn and u may want a conveyor oven instead.

Most places in New York use deck ovens and conveyors are rare here unless your the big 3.