no set pizzas

just wondering if any of you guys offer a menu with just a base plus toppings set up and no set pizzas or speciality pizza? or what do you guys think?

thanks in advance

I think that if I tried that with my customers I would sell less. I am sure everybody’s customers are different, but I see a significant number of mine do not want to have to think about what to put on the pizza. Yeah I know, sounds crazy but it’s true. By having a supreme or works or deluxe or whatever they don’t have to think. If they don’t like veggies they pick the meat pizza. By having an selection of specialty pizzas you take the work out of it for the ones that don’t want to think about it.

Rick

We have lots of named, set specialty pies. All have a least 4 toppings, most price out at 5-6-7-8 toppings (includes 2X and 3X price toppings)

Customers will order 2-3 topping pies if you let them choose. Having some attractive combos with interesting names and good descriptions increases sales.

Customers seem to want you to do the thinking for them. I had a section on my menu that was a build you own. It walked you step by step through the sauce and toppings etc. People would look at the menu and turn it over a couple of times looking at the front and back, then ask “Don’t you have just a plain pepperoni pizza?”

On my latest menu I went through my POS data and found the 10 most requested combinations and added them to the menu. Those 10 pizzas are selling more than ever before. I am still selling as much of my specialty gourmet pizzas so I would say having the pre-designed pizzas on the menu has helped.

Sometimes you have to make things incredibly easy for the customers so they don’t have to think about what they want.

People trust us to be the experts and to lead them where they want to go . . . where they want to go is a more interesting and more profitable pizza (whether they know it or not). We are all creatures of habit, us humans. Giving some creative new ideas and taste sensations makes them try new things, be surprised, and see you as a genius. Really. We make more money by having the pre-designed pizzas, even though they all are slightly discounted below “build it” price. Gives you a chance to create signature flavors and names for them to identify with as well.

+1

The Customer wants to be told what to order and, more importantly, how to feel about it! Will they feel good about saving the planet eating your free-range chicken topping, is mom keeping the family healthy by selecting your whole-grain crust, or are they impressing their friends with a unique combination of toppings “you can only get at that place?”

If you don’t have a story to tell, you’re at a huge disadvantage in this day and age. Oh, and “we’re the cheapest place in town” is a story very few people pay attention to anymore.

It’s all in the advertising and the presentation of your employees also. Teach them to talk up the specialty ones…and like I think everyone here agrees on… (Note: HeII has just frozen over! :stuck_out_tongue: ) people do want to be lead towards an option. Good for owners as even though they are discounted a bit… by having 3-4-5 etc topping… the volume of options adds too the profit line. I also think people do not have the imagination to change what they order. I want a pep or sausage pizza. I only eat veggies…etc… you need to excite them a little by using that tasty description and pictures. How many times have you been out too eat and seen something go by just too ask the server “what was that?”… I was out at a new restaurant a few towns over last night with friends in town and WOW is all I have to say. My wife and her college friend asked about 5 things they saw and ordered 4 of them. Lobster and scallop app with a cheesy custard… red pear, maytag blue, and balsamic salad… a fresh mozz balsamic with parm toast and interesting… a thin sliced and crusted zucinni… the entrees were great also… side note: the Cowboy Ribeye is making a comeback! 32oz bone-in monster with roasted peppers and green beans and asperagus spears. Ok I will stop now… :stuck_out_tongue: The point was the presentation that went by was awesome and the way the server talked up certain items and also downplayed one in general… just to touch on that… when your staff uptalks an item… tell them to feel free to say… “I love XXXX but not a great fan of the XXXX” I think mentally people hear a good choice and one you are not a lover of and maybe it justs bumps up their belief in it all. More than “oh yeah…that one is good, and that one, and that one… oh sorry… you were asking where the washroom is?” :shock:

I would recommend that you have both ‘set pizza’ and ‘no set pizza’. The ‘set pizza’ would be helpful in getting faster orders from regular customers. While ‘no set pizza’ would help you have a control on the crowd. Under ‘no set pizza, u can give them a choice on different types of bases, cheese and 3-4 toppings as per their choice.