Weighing Flour

When making a 50# batch, do you weigh it or trust the 50# bag is accurate?

If you weigh it, what is your process? All at once? 10# at a time? In the mixing bowl? In a separate container?

Weigh it…always! We did a number of studies on this and we found that there can be as much as 12 to 14-ounce variation in flour weight between different 50-pound bags on a pallet, however, if you weigh 20-bags together you will have 1,000-pounds on the scale. Add the water first, then the salt and sugar (if used), then all of the flour at one time, add the yeast on top of the flour, mix for about 2-minutes or JUST until the flour is whetted, then add the oil, mix for an additional minute at low speed and finish mixing at 2nd/medium speed. Total 2nd speed mixing time should be in the 8 to 10-minute bracket with a finished dough temperature targeted in the 70 to 75F range.
I you need a copy of my Dough Management Procedure just email me at thedoughdoctor@hotmail.com and request a copy of my Dough Management Procedure. This procedure will lead you through all the steps necessary to make consistent quality doughs day in and day out.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

2 Likes

How exactly do you weigh your flour? Do you have a large scale to weigh all 50#? Do you use a smaller scale and weigh 10# at a time? Other?

Both. If you have a scale that has a weighing capacity of something over 50-pounds you can use that. Mostly we see scales with a capacity of about 30-pounds so this will allow you to use a large plastic bucket to weigh the flour in.
Note: If you have a scale that will weigh 50-pounds and you can get the flour bag on the platform/scale pan you can weigh an empty flour bag to get the tare (it will be pretty constant), once you’ve done this all you need to do is to open a bag, place it on the scale platform, subtract the tare for the bag and adjust the weight to 50-pounds.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor