Installed Edge 60WB's last night. Stoked

i assume your just going to raise prices. can’t eat a 50% increase in labor
We will be. Somewhere between 20% and 30%. I have a plan mapped out where we raise prices once a year a few things. When its all said and done we will be $2 to $3 higher on all pizzas and $1 or $2 higher on other items.

Last edited:
Do the controls on these ovens allow you to set for a 30 minute bake time? We need this setting for our wings.

Also how does the bake compare to the middleby? We use PS555 that are about 15 years old. I need to replace them but I am too worried that it will change our bake and run off our customers?

Do they let you do a self install? Our local installers will charge us upwards of 3K to install ovens. They basically just plug them in.
How are you guys cooking your wings? I buy the pre-sauced/pre-cooked ones currently but they’re too expensive and am open to trying something new.

Last edited:
Pick up some uncooked wings fresh or frozen. Fresh cook faster frozen are easier get and to manage.

Run thru your oven on a sheet pan. We also use the LLoyd wing screens in the sheet pans. This will take somewhere between 20 and 30 minutes depending on your oven and if they are fresh or frozen. Season the wing how you like. We coat them with a little of our buffalo wing sauce. Let cool and portion out in bags. You can do this in the morning or the day before. When an order comes in add the requested sauce and run thru the oven. We use a pan with a piece of silicon injected parchment paper. You are good to go.

Pros:

Decent food cost compared to pre cooked wings. Makes a unique product that keeps people coming back.

Cons:

Can be labor intensive. But if you have down time with nothing to do its a perfect time filler.

Destroys pizza ovens. You will be cleaning you oven like a mofo from this point forward. If you decide to do something like this let me know and I’ll give you some cleaning tricks I’ve developed over the years.

Last edited:
Pick up some uncooked wings fresh or frozen. Fresh cook faster frozen are easier get and to manage.

Run thru your oven on a sheet pan. We also use the LLoyd wing screens in the sheet pans. This will take somewhere between 20 and 30 minutes depending on your oven and if they are fresh or frozen. Season the wing how you like. We coat them with a little of our buffalo wing sauce. Let cool and portion out in bags. You can do this in the morning or the day before. When an order comes in add the requested sauce and run thru the oven. We use a pan with a piece of silicon injected parchment paper. You are good to go.

Pros:

Decent food cost compared to pre cooked wings. Makes a unique product that keeps people coming back.

Cons:

Can be labor intensive. But if you have down time with nothing to do its a perfect time filler.

Destroys pizza ovens. You will be cleaning you oven like a mofo from this point forward. If you decide to do something like this let me know and I’ll give you some cleaning tricks I’ve developed over the years.
What are you paying for fresh wings we currently use la nova they taste good but are expensive and lately they have been VERY inconsistent in size and also there are a lot of odd ball pieces thrown in the mix that are unusable and have to be thrown in the trash. Have been wanting to do what you are doing with the wings but am unsure of the time consumption and if it’s worth it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Pizza pirate question about baking your wings do you out them in a bread pan to prevent dripping in your oven? Can you post a pic of how they are set up when you send hem through the oven? Im not going to have a fryer in my store. So I figured i would be stuck with tyson precooked wings. I would love to bake them in advance then run them through in 7 or 8 min when ordered. I never even considered baking them ahead of time then reheating. BRILLIANT! so glad for this forum. Edit just saw i mossed your detailed explanaition of how you do them. Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
What are you paying for fresh wings we currently use la nova they taste good but are expensive and lately they have been VERY inconsistent in size and also there are a lot of odd ball pieces thrown in the mix that are unusable and have to be thrown in the trash. Have been wanting to do what you are doing with the wings but am unsure of the time consumption and if it’s worth it.

Right now they are $80 a case. My supplier gets them from Wayne Farms somewhere in the midwest. They do have a tough time getting them though and I have also a lot of issues with the bits and pieces lately. They a bringing in some from a different plant on Friday and I’ll see if they are better. They best ones I have found in SoCal are the Restaurant Depot ones " Mountaire " I just don’t want to go pick up 80 cases every week.

Last edited:
Pizza pirate question about baking your wings do you out them in a bread pan to prevent dripping in your oven? Can you post a pic of how they are set up when you send hem through the oven? Im not going to have a fryer in my store. So I figured i would be stuck with tyson precooked wings. I would love to bake them in advance then run them through in 7 or 8 min when ordered. I never even considered baking them ahead of time then reheating. BRILLIANT! so glad for this forum. Edit just saw i mossed your detailed explanaition of how you do them. Thanks for sharing
I’ll see if I can get some photo’s up over the the next week. I’m not always around when they are doing the wings.

Last edited:
If youre going Fresh Wings Mountaire Party Wings are the absolute best. They sell them In Jumbo Party Wings and Small Party Wings. Party wings are split and the wing tip is removed. Is anyone buying Whole wings? There is a savings of about .15-.20 cents a lb.

Last edited:
Right now they are $80 a case. My supplier gets them from Wayne Farms somewhere in the midwest. They do have a tough time getting them though and I have also a lot of issues with the bits and pieces lately. They a bringing in some from a different plant on Friday and I’ll see if they are better. They best ones I have found in SoCal are the Restaurant Depot ones " Mountaire " I just don’t want to go pick up 80 cases every week.
My supplier carries these wings just order a case and am going to give them a shot and see how they work out will be receiving them in tomorrows delivery. She quoted me $84/case though but I’m currently paying 4.32/lb for the la nova wings just cant do that anymore need to tighten costs up especially with the $15 coming our way soon. I am excited to try these!

Last edited:
My supplier carries these wings just order a case and am going to give them a shot and see how they work out will be receiving them in tomorrows delivery. She quoted me $84/case though but I’m currently paying 4.32/lb for the la nova wings just cant do that anymore need to tighten costs up especially with the $15 coming our way soon. I am excited to try these!
How many lbs in this $84 case?

Last edited:
Be prepared for the following when using fresh wings:
1.Alot of salmonella worries
2.more dishes to wash bc theyre better if theyre marinated
3. Your supplier trying to pass of close to date wings on you.
4. Getting the last cases of wings from the bottom of the pallet, that are not only very close to the 11th day after the kill date but are also crushed and leaking everywhere

Last edited:
Be prepared for the following when using fresh wings:
1.Alot of salmonella worries
2.more dishes to wash bc theyre better if theyre marinated
3. Your supplier trying to pass of close to date wings on you.
4. Getting the last cases of wings from the bottom of the pallet, that are not only very close to the 11th day after the kill date but are also crushed and leaking everywhere
Thanks for the heads up but my supplier knows very well I don’t accept damaged goods why would I pay full price for that. I document everything and make her aware as most of the time she has no clue because it’s the warehouse workers that are careless as well as the delivery drivers. I also have blocked substitutes as I had issues in the past. But being that the wings would be fresh I would probably be cooking them the day they were received.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind the 40LB case of fresh jumbo wings won’t have close to the number of wings as 40lbs of Lanova wings. While you will certainly get more per pound once cooked, it won’t be as much as it seems at first as the fresh wings will render a lot of fat. It’s been a long time since I’ve used lanova but I seem to remember them yielding 9-11 per pound while I seem to remember Jumbo fresh wings yielding 6-8 per pound.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind the 40LB case of fresh jumbo wings won’t have close to the number of wings as 40lbs of Lanova wings. While you will certainly get more per pound once cooked, it won’t be as much as it seems at first as the fresh wings will render a lot of fat. It’s been a long time since I’ve used lanova but I seem to remember them yielding 9-11 per pound while I seem to remember Jumbo fresh wings yielding 6-8 per pound.
Yes I am factoring all of this but with la nova we just got a price increase and their quality of wings has been inconsistent with the size of their wings and also having a lot of unusable pieces that have to be thrown in the trash which is why I started looking into an alternative. That being said we received our fresh wings today yes they are bigger and had a lot of cook off but from a quick calculation they have an 8% lower food cost than la nova on a 10 piece order and the customer recieves more bang for their buck. They were also crisper than la nova even with sauce on them and our #1 complain with wings is that our wings are not crispy (we bake them). They were time consuming to make but again this was the first stab at it efficiency comes with a bit of trial and error. All in all I think there are more pros for both store and customer.

Last edited:
The 40 lb fresh wings yield 200 to 220 wings per case 90% of the time. Sometimes they are bigger and you will only get 180 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The 40 lb fresh wings yield 200 to 220 wings per case 90% of the time. Sometimes they are bigger and you will only get 180 or so.
40Lbs of fresh wings yielding 180 pieces?

How long do you reheat your wings in the oven for after they’ve been cooled down from being cooked? Those are some awfully large wings to heat all the way through on one pass through the oven.

Last edited:
Back