Anvil 40qt 1-phase? Bad idea or workable?

I have found a potential source for a very lightly used Anvil 110v 40 quart mixer. The price could be right for us, and could be a potential cost of goods reduction for dough and cheese (comes with grater nd two plates). Supposed to be new (gonna look at it) 220V 1-phase 1.5 HP 40 qt with square legs. Comes with pelican head and two disks, and a whisk only. They lost the dough hook and paddle in the relocation of the equipment lot.

Is this even worth looking at if I can get it for $2300 or less? Remember that I am a low volume shop right now with not a lot of pizza volume growth in my future. I need around 300 lb of dough on peak weeks if my math is right. I might get to 350 if we get back to blowout weeks from last spring. I don’t know if that mixer would work with 50# of flour okay?? Suspect I would need 60qt at least and more HP? Anyway enough rambling. I’ll listen to you guys.

I cannot spend $3000+ on a mixer right now. Maybe not this year at any one time. The return on investment is just too long when we are trying to expand dining room, increase sit-down entree menu, add a convection oven, improve HVAC . . . pretty much the same silliness everyone goes through :slight_smile:

I would check into how much the hook is…

Having said that…I would not use it for a 50# bag of flour. Over time you are going to run the gears up…(if that is the right terminology.) We have a 40 quart in one of our stores and we have had to repair it several times because we are trying to use it for 50# bags of flour. Hobart tech has told us we are over loading it. Our other shop has a bigger mixer and can handle 100 # of flour like nothing. We bought that one used and it is very used and we have not had ANY problems.

I would be patient or you are going to find yourself in the same position in a few years. Just my 2 cents.

Kris

Nick
50 Lbs of flour barely fits in a 60 quart mixer, I would not even attempt to mix that much in a 40qt as I would be afraid that more flour would end up on the floor than in the dough. You’ll be fine doing 25 Lb batches in it though.

Nick on your volume I think doing 25lb batches as Paul stated would do you. We knock out 25kg (just over 50lb) batches at a time and this does us for a Monday and Tuesday trade (sometimes maybe a few kgs more) where we make up an average 15 x 200gm smalls, 30 x 380gm large and 12 x 570gm Family size bases. Wednesdays are a little higher unit sales and others nights a lot more but it is only on Thursday nights where we make up 2 or 3 batches of 25kg bags for Friday and 2 on Friday for Saturday that we do bigger mixes. Our volume is much more than yours so I think you can comfortably work with this unit if you decide to go that track. As you stated you are in a smaller confined market without much pizza volume growth so why go for an overkill in mixer size.
Dave

Hi Nick:

You are getting good advise. A 60 qt Hobart is at the edge of its abilities doing 50 lb of flower.

AS others have recommended 25 pound batches would be best for the 40 qt unit you are contemplating.

Be sure you get a spiral hook for the unit.

George Mills

is the single phase 1.5 horse anvil going to last ding 25# bags?

I just found a 60qt singl phase 220V hobart H600 (used) available, again with the grater. Still probably not going to whiz through 50# bag, but easier doings on the 25#. Go for the older 60? or hop on the nearly new 40? I tend toward the 60 if in good shape.

Nick I would tend to lean towards the Hobart just because that is what nearly everyone in the pizza industry uses. I have know more than a few 30+ year old Hobart mixers to still be making pizza dough daily while I do not know of a single Anvil mixer making pizza dough daily. That is not to say that the Anvil will not work, just that you are taking a larger risk. For curiosities sake, does the Hobart have more horsepower than the Anvil?

looks like they are both the same 1.5 HP at 220v/1-phase. 40qt Anvil and 60qt Hobart

I’m not all that familiar with the Anvil line of mixers, but in dealing with folks who do have them, I think I can safely say that mixing 50-pounds of flour in the 110v flavor is outta the question. The max load is more like 25-pounds of flour weight, and then you’ll be mixing at low speed. The hook that you will need to replace will cost you about $300.00 new, and it won’t be of reverse spiral design, so you may need to cut the dough off of the hook periodically to get a uniform mix/dough. If you’re looking to make 300 to 350-pounds of dough a week (over a seven day period) this would amount to only two, 25-pound flour basis boughs a day, and I would think that the mixer would probably suffice for your needs as you have stated them.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Sounds like I should hold out for a deal on a 60 or 80 qt in my pice range. I am not dying for it today . . . but I do want to find a good, clean machine with a pelican head. There are some floating around that may be negotiable. Everyone starts out wanting a whole lot of $$$ . . . I just will wait for the ‘golden egg’ to pop up.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/bfs/1751324310.html

Maybe a “road trip” to the Great White North, eh!

Keep in mind as you look for mixers that many of the 80qt Hobarts do not allow for a pelican head to be attached. Mostly the M-802s but some of them do have the attachment hub.