cheese prices

what are you paying for cheese, I payed 2.16lb

$2.23 this week, I’m supposed to lag block by 2 weeks.

$1.73

Except for a week in March CME block has been between $1.47 and $1.53 since late January.

$1.99 on Saturday 5/5/2012.

To you guys that are paying these high prices, are you shopping your price between vendors?

bodegahwy, who is your supplier and what brand?

I would shop it around more if I could find another supplier that had a product as good as the one we’re using. We’re starting to do a bit of door knocking again with the 3 suppliers I use, one has nothing decent, one didn’t have anything I liked 2 years ago anyway, and the 3rd, Sysco I’m pretty sure we tested everything they had…but who knows, maybe someone will surprise me.

$1.77 last week. I bought all the existing equipment in our new place and it had a small mixer with a shredding attachment that I found in a box a couple months after we opened. I consistently pay $.50 - $.75 less per pound buying block cheese. I’m kicking myself for not doing this the previous three years at our other place.

is there an attachment to dice the cheese? also, does anyone have a video or has seen one on how the attachment works, I think its time we look into that.

What kind of mixer are you using? My little one isn’t a Hobart, but this is basically the same thing: http://www.google.com/products/catalog? … McBEPMCMAM

Mine gives me really thick shreds of cheese that I like better.

$1.81 for Sorento block

There is one from Hobart. We dice our cheese. I will send a picture to you with all the pieces that you need to buy if you can pm me with your email address.

We use a Stefan VCM. The cutting blades will turn 20-22 lbs of block into “diced” in 25 seconds. One person can prep the cheese for a busy day in a half hour or so.

We use LMPS 100% mozz from either US Food or Sysco depending on price. They both come in block with a case size between 40-45 lbs. Block size varies between them, but we process about a half case at a time which fills a full pan nicely.

We are paying 1.65 for lmps della vita blocks

[quote=“jokergerm”]
We are paying 1.65 for lmps della vita blocks[/quote

Bodegahwy. How much cheese do you use a day. Based on those numbed sounds like 500 lbs a day or so. Jesus that’s a lot

Joker,

No, our biggest days would be about 250 lbs. In the OFF season (like right now) might be as little as 50 lbs.

The half hour I mentioned includes getting the product out, un-wrapping and cleaning up the equipment afterwards.

$2.35 for Grande.

seems like it has been creeping up for the last month…still under 2 bucks for block,but not the 1.67 it was a couple of months ago.

1.85 for lmps della vita… US Foods guy told me yesterday 1.72, so I think I’ll be ordering from my friends at US Foods for the time being.

Anyone know whats going on with cheese prices, mine has jumped at least .30 cents over the last 2 weeks, paying 2.35 #lb per on block cheese & how do you actually read the price of cheese on the daily cheese price site. And how do you really know what your supplier should be charging compared to what the market says??