Scam alert- happened twice today

So I get two calls today from operator-assisted relay services. We’ve received orders from these services in the past, so I don’t hesitate to take them. First one asks for price on Large Pepperoni pizza. I tell them the price and the next thing I hear is “I would like to place an order for 100 Large Pepperoni pizzas for my son’s wedding on March 22nd.” I ask if they will be paying for the pizzas beforehand and I get a response, “Yes, with Visa”. I’m thinking cha-ching.
Next the caller asks, “Can we move this conversation to text messaging so I can give you my credit card number” I think… why not? So, I give the operator my cell phone number. At this point, I have no reason to believe that this is a bogus order.
I get a text message confirming the date and time. I tell him his order will be $1515.
Then the call takes a turn for the worst. Customer asks, “Can have you charge my card for $950 over the amount? That way you can pay the carrier $750 and you can keep $200 for yourself as a tip.”
I’m thinking, “Yea, right! Like I’m going to hand over $750 in cash on a card that’s probably going to result in a chargeback.”
I respond, “I can’t pay the carrier. You’re going to need to handle that yourself.” Red flags are going up everywhere by now. But I keep playing along.
Customer responds, “I can’t do that right now, but I’m willing to give you $200 for your troubles.”
I respond, “I’ll deliver your pizzas at no charge” No response. Maybe he realizes that I’m on to him.

4 hours later- I get another relay call. Same thing. This time I ask the operator, “Do you know the origin of this call?” Operator states that it’s blocked. I respond that we are not able to do this order. Caller hangs up.

I figure that someone is phishing for info and/or trying to fraudulently use a stolen card. I’m sure they’re just randomly calling pizza places.

This one should be obvious to most, but you may want to notify your staff if they receive a similar call. I don’t think any true crime has been committed, buy I sure would have hated to make a hundred pizzas and not receive payment.

A lot of us have gotten these calls. It’s a pretty common scam. Sucks that it preys on the deaf/mute… pretty low.

pc

Hi pizzafanatic

We are not a pizza operation but I get about the same words by E mail. I send this reply

Please send your proposal to Fax: +33 (0)4 72 44 71 63. That sends it to Interpol.

I do the same with the scam letters wanting to share millions with me.

I hope some of those idiots follow my request.

George Mills

We have started getting them on the fax also now. :frowning:

I have friends that operate a VW restoration business and they are starting to get similar scams via email and fax. It must work sometimes or they would quit trying.

After I know it’s a scam I always tell them now that for an order that size from an unknown customer we would have to have cash because they are some lowlife scum out there that like to rip off honest people that are willing to work for a living.

i KNEW IT WAS A SCAM THE FIRST TIME THEY TRIED IT.USUALLY PIZZA ISNT sry caps a wedding food.I never got to the point that I had to pay for the shipping of the pizzas.last time I told them that I would charge them half price for the pizzas.I asked if they would like to add 50 orders of breadsticks for a buck each order and that I would only charge them a nickel for 50 2 liters.it was only after I told them I would give them half off plus another half off that they finally got it and hung up.I also told the operator it was a scam and to tell her supervisor but she hung up on me after I said that.this leads me to believe that somehow the operator may be involved somehow.after the first time it hapened I always tell the operator it is a scam but my warning always falls on deaf ears,no pun intended.

George,

Are you saying that Nigerian Price that wants me to help his exiled family is not going to give me 80% of his million dollar fortune? Dang…I already dug the hole for my new pool! :cry:

That makes a lot of sense what Benny said about the operator being involved. As I have not been lucky enough to hear one first hand… the only voice you hear is the operator. The person with the disability types the message to them… you assume. I wonder how many times the operator is actually the person doing the scam. I wonder how many people use these services only to have the helpful operator steal their credit card info? Screwing the disabled…that is low…but the scum go after easy targets and this is one at times. I wish there was more prosecution of this type of scam. :x

They called us 3 times one day. We collected all the information we could and phoned the police. Police didn’t care as “no crime had been committed as of yet.”

Brad…could you not just have run the card and than waited it out without making any food? You then have the fraud in place. Run it and then call the card processor to verify with the card holder. In the end…costs you nothing and might get someones attention.

This happens all the time, but from what I understand is that the operator is required by law to say whatever is typed into her tty machine. He/She can not edit or make comments on their own-even in an obvious scam situation. Police won’t help out much in this situation either. Remember if it sounds too good to be true…

But according to Visa/Mastercard, isn’t the person to whom the card was actually issued the victim of the fraud? Wouldn’t they be the ones to have to file the police report?

I think I’d have to go through with the whole scheme and await a chargeback for any proof of a crime. Heck, and by giving them cash back for a “tip” I would really be the only one in trouble with the credit card company!

If were not busy i will sit on the phone with them and act like i was really intrested i will take there cc and tell them i’m running the card and then tell them it was declined they usually have several cc numbers so they will give another and another card and i tell them they are all declined while i really never run them thru this usually gets them pissed off and hangs up.

It would be nice if there was a reporting tip line that you could call and give the info of the incident and have them follow up with the card holder so they know someone is trying to use their cards illegally. Then again…it is the end user that gets stuck paying for the loss anyway… they don’t care! Sorry all…system sucks!

It pains me to hear about this because those services are there to help the hearing impaired,deaf,or folks with speech trouble that are not able to use a telephone,have a better quality of life,and best of all,order pizzas from their favorite places!

I wanted to let many of you know,even if you have customers that still use the TTY/TDD,that is becoming ancient technology these days.Most Deaf or Hearing Impaired folks that use ASL or sign language,are now using the VRS (Video relay service).

Most deaf folks I know,and I know many,have not owned a TTY or TDD in a few years now.What the scammers are doing,with those TTY/TDD calls,they are using internet based relay services,so all they have to do is type whatever they want to say,using a computer,and theres no call back number you can reach them at.It is not a legit TTY call!Yes,Deaf and hearing impaired folks also use the internet based relay calls as a TTY access,but as the VRS system continues to become popular,you will see less and less calls from from them via a TTY/TDD perspective.

Also,What the VRS call does,the person has to make a live call to the relay operator.They can see each other on a computer or tv screen that uses a camera.They sign to each other and the VRS relay makes the call for them,to you,from THEM.

If you know how to sign ASL,you also can have a VRS phone installed in your place of business and answer direct calls for orders.You wont need to use the relay since you can sign.You would be able to see and sign to your customer that wants to place an order.Deaf people call each other on the VRS system everyday just to say hello!

It works well and can help eliminate scam calls in the long run.Do be cautious,and use your common sense as well,look at the orders and were its going etc,since who knows if the scammers will find a way to abuse this VRS system,but unless they are fluent in Sign language,its unlikely.

Also,the person using the VRS relay also has their own VRS home phone number.You can request it,and call them back if needed.It will dial the relay first then connect them to you so you can have the relay interpret what you need to say to them,and back and forth.It works very very well.

Hope this helps some of you understand the VRS systems a little better.Its just sad the scammers out there are always finding new ways to steal money from people.

Ok…not wanting to sound mean or trying to limit someones abilities… but having a blind person in the family… we always have her handle all wedding, party, large event planning, etc… I mean if I was going to order 100 pizzas I would so call her and have her handle it all. Please read sarcasm! Now the funny follow up…last July she planned a family reunion in Chicago for over 200 people from all over the world all by herself. Kind of going in two directions here…yes people with disabilites can do just about everything someone without one can these days thanks to technology and other assistance…but why is it always an assisted call that orders these large…and somewhat crazy orders? Add in that extra $1000 for your tip because I like how you were so nice to the operator on the assisted call. Geez…thanks. Wait… we had pizza at the hotel one night. She ordered 50 pizzas…and did she tip that extra whatever…hell no! She asked for an additional discount on that very large order and then tipped very well to the 2 drivers that brought them. I know because I handed them the money. Total pizza cost…$1000. They gave 20% off so $800 incl tax. She gave them the $1000 to cover all costs plus the tips and also told the mgr to split with kitchen staff. So yes these orders do actually happen… but I think that every person/family would not have their speach impaired member handle the phone order like that.

I do believe there is. I remember seeing instructions with my card terminal about how to handle suspicious situations. I believe you call in and ask for a code such and such authorization (cant remember the code). It sounds legit to who ever is trying to use the card but tells the processing company that the transaction is suspicious to you.

seven or eight years ago, I was working for a large IT products reseller, over a month perios the company was scammed for over 300k in toner purchases, through the same method, we were asking to get a copy of the card and the drivers license of the card holder… and they supplied it… the company had to eat the loss regardless, the last order that came in, since the shipments were out of state the FBI was involved and they “delivered” the goods… Nigerians…
they were having the stuff delivered at different business locations leased for cash, and when the delivery guy arrived the office was closed so they left the goods with the people next door, the perps would then pick it up a day later…

after a couple of months in the news it came up that terrorists were testing explosives in toner cartriges… :shock: but it may have been unrelated.

I’m sorry for those with disabilities, but when I open my store any order above $200.00 will have to be paid in person, if i don’t know who the custemer is.

To report the fraud, call your local FBI field office. To find the contact information for field offices, visit www.fbi.gov[/url] and select the closest major city. Also report the fraud to the Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC) by visiting [url=http://www.ifccfbi.gov]www.ifccfbi.gov and choosing “File a Complaint.” It is important to file the report with both places, as the local field office would be the one to act on a specific complaint, but the IFCC keeps track of the overall trends and it might be possible to trigger a larger investigation if it is clear that this is happening in multiple areas.

I was feeling a little left out, but yesterday they called one of our locations. I feel better now. :slight_smile:

If you folks did not know,there is a website dedicated to/where people have gotten even with these nigerian and other foreign scammers.These folks played along with the scammers until the very end,and got them to take pictures of themselves with fish on their heads or some other form of proof required.The wall of shame pictures are hilarious.The Trophy Room pictures are even better.
:lol:
This may be off the subject some,but it was great to see people getting even with these criminals and beating them at their game.

http://www.419eater.com/