Switching from active dry to instant dry yeast

Is there a rule of thumb for going from active dry yeast to instant yeast? We’ve been using active dry yeast for years but I want to take the guess work out of hydrating it.

Aside from quantity, will I have to make any temperature changes?

We use cold H2O from the walk in…add water, then flour, the salt/yeast etc…mix for a few minutes, then add In the oil…

To make the switch from ADY to IDY you will need to use only 3/4 (75%) as much IDY as you did ADY. Keep in mind that this is by weight, not volume. So, if you were using 4-ounces of ADY the math would look like this: 4 X 75 (press the “%” key) and read 3. That would be 3-ounces of IDY to replace 4-ounces of ADY. If you want to do it by the books, add 2-ounces of additional water for each ounce of IDY.
The best way to add IDY is to add the water to the mixing bowl first, then add the flour followed by the dry ingredients (including the IDY), mix at low speed just until the dry flour disappears from the bottom of the bowl, then add the oil and mix one more minute at low speed, then mix the dough as you normally do.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Tom,

Is the 2 ounces of water for each ounce of IDY with respect to fresh yeast rather than ADY?

PN

We made the switch a couple years ago. Everyone’s circumstances are different. Your style of dough will dictate certain requirements as well as your store environment, type of dough you use and refrigeration. My advice would be to go by Tom’s suggestions and just adjust from there to achieve your desired product. It really is an easy transition but I was a little apprehensive at first too.

PN;
The IDY is dry (about 6% moisture) that it can have a drying effect upon the dough if you don’t add the extra water. It does make a difference when making bread and rolls with IDY by since so many people like a stiffer dough when making pizza the adjustment is seldom made, with that said, a stiff dough does not expand readily during baking and will not create a crispiest pizza possible.

Thanks for the information Tom.

Right now we hydrate with 192 ounces of water at 100 degrees. We then use another 192 ounces of water where the temperature varies based on our ambient air temperature. We shoot for 85 degree finished dough temperature.

Should we just keep using those water quantities and temperatures to maintain the finished dough temperature, or can we just take an average of those two to get one temperature for the new IDY method?

Piper;
Use this formula for calculating the water temperature:
3 X the desired dough temperature (82) minus the sum of the room temperature, flour temperature, and friction factor (30).
Here is an example:
Room temp. 75
Flour temp. 73
Friction factor 30
Desired finished dough temp. 82F.
3 X 83 = 246
246 - (75 73 30) = 68F water temperature needed. This will get you very close to where you want to be. You can always tweek it a little by adjusting the friction factor value up and down. For example, if you always seem to get doughs that are warmer than calculated for simply increase the friction factor value by 5 or 10. If they are colder than calculated for you will need to decrease the friction factor value. Once you find the friction factor value that works with your mixer just plug it in and use it all the time from then on changing only the room and flour temperatures as needed. Use ALL of the water at the calculated temperature, putting the IDY into the dry flour.

Tom,

I’m puzzled by the math in the above example. Can you tell me how you calculated the 2 ounces of additional water for each ounce of IDY when replacing ADY with IDY?

Thanks.

PN

PN;
The 2-ounces of additional water for each ounce of IDY comes from the manufacturer’s directions, it was not a part of the calculation. When using ADY you should include 2 times the weight of ADY as part of the water used to hydrate the yeast in. This is the same as for IDY, but since we don’t usually pre-hydrate IDY the extra water is added to the dough along with the regular dough water. This water SHOULD be in addition to the regular dough water, but it seldom is, that’s why I said “if you want to do it by the books”.

Thanks a ton for taking the time to explain all of this to me, Tom. We’re making the change to IDY this week thanks to your help.

Tom,

Thank you. Now I understand. However, don’t you normally recommend using about 4 times the weight of the ADY in water for pre-hydrating purposes?

PN