How to maintain a Hobart Mixer

I use my hobart mixer to grate my cheese. Lately if I push a just a bit too hard on the feeder, its starts to make a sound like the the gears are resisting. My question is should I be changing the oil? and are there any other steps for me to keep this machine functional.

Thanks

Do you lube the shaft? as we call it

When you insert the part where the round disc attaches to, into the pelican head you need to put some salad oil on the bronze looking bearing as i call it

It makes an horrible noise with out the oil, like a chattering grinding. Mine did not start doing this until recently
I think they wear out and the oil stops the noise, we Apply a small amount of oil to it every time we shred cheese

Im sorry but I am having a hard time visualizing what you mean… :?

You need to oil the gold bronze part in this picture

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/m/mgI1uwwx8b4gJUD0ChqFFZA/140.jpg

perfect! thank you very much, I appreciate the quick response!

Let me know if that helps, mine makes a aweful noise if i dont put oil on there. we just use the salad oil and dab a little on there

We also use ours heavily. We make dough 5 times 6 days a week and cut 800+ lbs. of cheese per week.

I have never changed the oil. I add oil to it every 6 months. It is impossible to see the oil level any more because the window to view oil level is clouded. I try to make a dip stick out of straws so I can guess the oil level. I fill it up with Hobart oil.

I get it checked every 2 years by a professional service tech. We have a Hobart dealer about 20 minutes from us that we have dealt with for 35 years. They have told me that what we do is fine for maintaining the mixer.